• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MOTO DROID OR WAIT FOR HTC(Passion) ???

jond8855

Lurker
Oct 18, 2009
im torn if i should hop on the droid train now or wait a little longer hoping for another comparable droid to be released. I really wanted something with GSM and no keyboard more of a big screen and all touch..passion looks like it will fit the bill but will i see it before xmas??? and of course i want android 2.0 with all that said any suggestions?

if you are always waiting for the next phone....you will never have one. There will always be something better 6 months or less away... just the way it goes.

Be that as it may it still is useful to hear what people's thoughts are on the Droid vs Passion question given the available information.

There are a number of things you should be considering:

1) Do you want stock Android or do you want Android with the overlay of SenseUI? A lot of people love the way Sense looks and works but you also need to consider the update availability. Stock Android (on the Droid) will be able to get incremental updates (ie. 2.1 when it comes out) as soon as they're released. The same is not true of the Android w/ SenseUI (Passion). Some of these incremental updates, especially the first one may be quite extensive based on a number of current issue with 2.0.

2) Do you need a physical keyboard? From what we've seen the Passion won't have one. Consider though that the HTC Eris is reported to have an excellent on screen (software) keyboard. One would assume another HTC Android would have the same keyboard. Many people have been reporting that the Droid's physical keyboard is difficult to use and poorly designed. There are also issues w/ Droid's stock software keyboard.

3) How much speed and fluidity (is that a real word?) do you need? I'll give you my take on what I've seen. First, you should know that the HTC HD2 (not coming to Verizon) has specs that are very similar to those of the Passion that have leaked. That said, if you watch videos of the HD2 it is blazing fast and very smooth in the videos I've seen. The same is not true of the Droid. The Droid beats a whooole lot of phones but in many cases you can still notice jerky movement and sometimes lack of immediate response when touched. Find and watch the videos for yourself.

4) How big do you want the screen? The Passion advertises a screen that will be noticeably bigger than the Droid. The bigger the screen the more risk the phone can't handle it and the faster the battery may deplete. Not certain but it's likely. On the other hand we can go back to the quickness seen in the HD2 and assume if the specs really are very similar this won't cause lag. Also think about size concerns (Passion may not fit into pocket as nicely).

5) How quickly do you want/need a phone? The Droid is out and an update is know to be on the way for Android 2.0 which may resolve many current issues (issues in my book at least). Very little is known about the Passion, in fact everything I've mentioned about it is speculation based on "leaks" which may or may not be correct information. There have been a few leaks that suggest the phone will come to Verizon in November (black friday) or December, but there is no way of knowing if this is correct. To be honest Black Friday definitely sounds far fetched b/c no one has seen anything go through the FCC that could be identified as the Passion/Dragon or whatever it may be named. To release in Nov or Dec, they would have to push it through the FCC remarkably quickly. However, I'm not certain if it's possible to sneak something through the FCC but I suppose if it is possible, HTC could have it through already (not to certain if that could happen or not). The point is we have very weak details on the Passion and the Droid can be bought today.

What am I going to do? The Passion sounds to absurd for me to take a dive at the Droid. There are to many little things still wrong with the Droid for me to be able to go for it right now. I am going to wait until I see at least 2 of the following three things happen:
#1) The Passion is released.
#2) Android 2.1 is released (or whatever the update will be numbered)
#3) Android 2.0 with SenseUI is released and can be run on the Eris (this could potentially be enough to put the Eris past the Droid in terms of speed and fluidity <----seriously, is this a word? i don't want to look it up lol)

If you made it all the way to this sentence without skipping you win the prize.

Nope, I lied, you don't. :)

Upvote 0
if you are always waiting for the next phone....you will never have one. There will always be something better 6 months or less away... just the way it goes.

I'm planning to wait on this one, only because it sounds like it has the things I wish the Droid Eris did. And I'd rather wait to get the phone I really want instead of jumping on the phone I like "enough".

Upvote 0
im torn if i should hop on the droid train now or wait a little longer hoping for another comparable droid to be released. I really wanted something with GSM and no keyboard more of a big screen and all touch..passion looks like it will fit the bill but will i see it before xmas??? and of course i want android 2.0 with all that said any suggestions?

Who said anything about the Passion being GSM. The current HTC HD2 is GSM and may come to AT&T or T-mobile. But that is a Windows Phone.

No Android Phones from AT&T. T-Mobile's best Android will be the Samsung Behold 2.

If you want GSM, no keyboard and big screen, look at the iPhone 3GS.

Upvote 0

You're going to see a lot of opinions here...I'm waiting on the Passion. I had both the Eris and Droid and both had serious enough problems (for me) that I had to return them.

Upvote 0
You're going to see a lot of opinions here...I'm waiting on the Passion. I had both the Eris and Droid and both had serious enough problems (for me) that I had to return them.

I also had the Droid and Eris. I am returning them also. The Eris is nice, but small screen and too slow. The Droid is fast and has a great screen, but it is too bulky and heavy and the keyboard sucks. Could not wait for the Passion, so I ended up with the iPhone 3GS 32GB. I said I would never get an iPhone, but after the Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Droid and Eris I went for it.

I am very happy with it. After all my research I have to say I think it is the best smart phone available. OS is much smoother and more stable then the current Android phones.

I do think the Passion should be a great phone. I think Android has great potential but I do not feel it is there yet.

Upvote 0
I also had the Droid and Eris. I am returning them also. The Eris is nice, but small screen and too slow. The Droid is fast and has a great screen, but it is too bulky and heavy and the keyboard sucks. Could not wait for the Passion, so I ended up with the iPhone 3GS 32GB. I said I would never get an iPhone, but after the Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Droid and Eris I went for it.

I am very happy with it. After all my research I have to say I think it is the best smart phone available. OS is much smoother and more stable then the current Android phones.

I do think the Passion should be a great phone. I think Android has great potential but I do not feel it is there yet.

I've had the iPhone twice (I use a Mac so it's natural) but I simply could not live with the horrible service, both locally (even dropped calls with 5 bars), especially on travel, and their customer service. I LOVED the iPhone...but I need a phone that works so I'm relegated to VZW, who despite any negative comments...still has the most solid network in the US.

Upvote 0
Below is just how "I" feel.

I plan on waiting for a bigger, better spec-wise "Android" phone to release to...VERIZON.
I almost feel that I along with everyone else, will probably have to wait til early 2010 sometime for the "Dragon/Passion"...Could be mid January, or Feb???
God, I really hope not. I really hope HTC surprises everyone. Would love to see something hit before the new year.
I AM STUCK IN BLACKBERRY HELL.
HTC & Google will you save me??? Along with everyone else too?
I'm really after an android phone with better specs/features than the Motorola Droid.
A larger screen w/ better Resolution, and beefier processor, along with more RAM?
Yes, HTC, this WOULD be nice.

Just make sure you don't wimp out on the battery. (Or anything else)
GO QUALITY, from head to toe. (do phones have toes?? LoL)

I must admit, I do believe the Motorola Droid is by far the most impressive phone out...
...Right Now.

Just remember people, these New-Age Smartphones, are getting far more complicated. The developers, need more time to make their devices as close to perfect as possible. I am positive there will be a large number of devices, that will just miss the mark as far as meeting necessary device quality/design, & performance standards etc. It seems some companies are rushing to catch what I call the "Android OS/Device Gold Rush."
(You can't rush a Top Notch Device)

I guess what I'm trying to say is,
Build your relationship with a good buddy of mine.....
....His name is Patience...
And no I'm not referring to a device codename...LoL.
Android is still fairly young. I hope this post helps anyone who feels the need to run out and "Settle"

That said, I am firmly going to wait on devices like the HTC Dragon/Passion to come out...

Especially after listening to HTC's Drew Bamford here:
Viddler.com - The Engadget Show - 003: Drew Bamford, Joystiq's Chris Grant, Adamo XPS, and lots of game demos - Uploaded by engadgetshow
He didnt really get into ANY specifics, but DID give me hope.

I am going to continue to stare at the full body leaked photo of the phone from TheUnlockr until the Dragon/Passion DOES release. (I'm not obsessed, I'm just fed up with Blackberry)

For those waiting on the Dragon/Passion,
I hope we will all get some Hard SPECIFIC Evidence soon, to help tide us over.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones