• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto Droid to get 2.2 possibly this week, no DInc news

Just keep thinking that it will be several months from now, so when it finally does come you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what the big deal is anyway, all that I've seen that 2.2 brings is the tethering, which will surely be disabled by Verizon anyway. That and the app storage on SD card, but I'm not sure how many hundreds of apps you'd need to use that.

Upvote 0
How many people have found themselves using the Inc and thought "man I wish this phone was faster"? It's pretty zippy to begin with.

I certainly want Froyo ASAP, but it's not going to kill me.
I agree. I have no issues waiting for Froyo. Incredible feels very fast to me. I have several friends with Moto Droids (at stock speed) and they feel significantly slower to me.

Upvote 0
Just keep thinking that it will be several months from now, so when it finally does come you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what the big deal is anyway, all that I've seen that 2.2 brings is the tethering, which will surely be disabled by Verizon anyway. That and the app storage on SD card, but I'm not sure how many hundreds of apps you'd need to use that.

Speaking of tethering, i had figured that verizon would try to disable it... when a root comes out will that be a way around verizon's block?

Upvote 0

The JIT compiler is pretty huge. If I am not mistaken there will need to be a pretty good amount of work done to get it not only onto our phone, but also working properly with the Sense UI. We don't just think it'll be months, we know it will. HTC is great about getting stuff out and doing so mostly in working order, but they aren't that great about doing it quickly.

I can't wait for FroYo, but I won't be rooting my phone just to get it earlier. I enjoy the stock experience and I look forward to getting that little popup notifying me that I've got an awesome update to install.

Upvote 0
I think too many people are focused on the speed factor of this update. I really don't need my phone to be any faster BUT why not? I'm looking forward to the flash player more than anything. Finally can watch vids posted on ALL sites. And the WiFi tether could be huge if VW doesnt block it from us.
If Slingbox would release their App already I wouldn't care at all about 2.2

Upvote 0
Hey, the 2.2 updates going around the web blogs isn't really an official update is it? From reading it, it looks like just another cooked ROM someone made. Funny how the headline doesn't mention this, I had to read between the lines.

Correct. The versions that are floating around that aren't on T-Mobile Nexus One's are NOT the final release version. I'm sure it is still plenty fast, but it will be missing features and polish that the final version will have. Doesn't matter much to us Incredible users, with no Root and Sense UI we will be waiting either way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones