• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moto E(4) Plus "owens" - All Things Root Guide

Okay fellas please tell me where I am going wrong. I got my key and unlocked the boot loader. When I try to flash the recovery it doesn't work. I tried the Owens one. Saw that it was for the plus and I have the regular e4. Then tried the Perry one that is for the regular e4 and I get this same error. Thoughts?
ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 24 22.29.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 24 22.29.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 24 22.29.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0
Okay fellas please tell me where I am going wrong. I got my key and unlocked the boot loader. When I try to flash the recovery it doesn't work. I tried the Owens one. Saw that it was for the plus and I have the regular e4. Then tried the Perry one that is for the regular e4 and I get this same error. Thoughts?
View attachment 131438

Those terminal lines are actually normal. Flash twrp using
'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' and boot directly back into recovery, do all over again!

Upvote 0
Thank you. It was a struggle, but I finally got it rooted! Magisk did not play nice and had to flash phh's su. Would like a stock debloated version. Not sure if I will be able to use any of these Owens plus roms either since I am on regular e4 Perry version?

Umm.. Ya do know that Magisk USES PHH's Root, Right? No do NOT use an 'owens' ROM on perry unless ya wanna take a chance on more headaches. Theoretically it may actually work but the assert lines in updater script will block the installation Also, what do ya mean about 'Magisk not playing nice..?'

Upvote 0
I first flashed Magisk and when I installed the Magisk manager and opened it said Magisk not installed. I flashed the Magisk Uninstaller and then flashed Phh's Su. I really don't know what I am doing though either. Lol, but it sure is fun to mess with!

There's an option in Settings-Security called Unknown Sources or 3rd party apps that need turned on in order to install apps that didn't come from PlayStore

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Reactions: Member1660584
Upvote 0
I'm here to give you guys information that you wouldn't got anywhere else.

Do not install ValidusOS without gapps. This ROM has no preinstalled browser so you won't be able to browse the internet. Without gapps there is no playstore and without playstore there is no way to download a browser. You'll be basically stuck with a ROM with no possible way to browse the internet.

Another awful glitch is omniswitch. Owniswitch, when activated, won't allow you to install any apps. I did some research on why I couldn't install any apps and the answer was “disable omniswitch". I disabled omniswitch and my problem was resolved.

I again took the bullet for you guys. I wasted my time so you don't have to waste yours.

Seems like all donations should go to me since it appears that I'm the only person actually testing these ROMs.

Upvote 0
I'm here to give you guys information that you wouldn't got anywhere else.

Do not install ValidusOS without gapps. This ROM has no preinstalled browser so you won't be able to browse the internet. Without gapps there is no playstore and without playstore there is no way to download a browser. You'll be basically stuck with a ROM with no possible way to browse the internet.

Another awful glitch is omniswitch. Owniswitch, when activated, won't allow you to install any apps. I did some research on why I couldn't install any apps and the answer was “disable omniswitch'. I disabled omniswitch and my problem was resolved.

I again took the bullet for you guys. I wasted my time so you don't have to waste yours.

Seems like all donations should go to me since it appears that I'm the only person actually testing these ROMs.

ValidusOS has Jelly browser.. ok, I see. Thank you for letting me know about it, I missed that one, apprently. Adding AdAway must have broke Jelly, I'm gonna work around that, fix Jelly and reUpload.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Are you unable to read?! Let me remind you about posting wind up comments like this

https://androidforums.com/threads/r...-for-moto-e4-plus-owens.1261367/#post-7750407

If you're looking for a medal or something, I can't oblige. What I can do is award you a 5 point infraction for staff disregard. Well done!

Upvote 0
For the record, I DID test the ROM but I use Jelly Browser so rarely that I didn't notice its absence. My bad, I'll reDownLoad the repo and fix it.. As for OmniSwitch: I dunno much about it as I never use it
There's a bug with Omni Switch. Not being able to install apps is exactly the bug. I found and reported it to the Validus maintainer for surnia almost 2 years ago now. I guess it was never fixed.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
There's a bug with Omni Switch. Not being able to install apps is exactly the bug. I found and reported it to the Validus maintainer for surnia almost 2 years ago now. I guess it was never fixed.

That Rocks, thanks for the info, never knew the bug existed. Might be time to give them a shout on G+..

Reactions: Member1660584
Upvote 0
It is unfortunate that I received an infraction. I was only trying to help.

Some thanks I got.

Actually, most of the things I reported would've remained unknown had I not tested the ROMs.

Thanks again for the infraction.

Umm, I don't think that providing the browser issue caused the response from the Mod. More like, the WAY ya went about it caused it..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones