1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Moto E5 Play slow charge notification

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Cannon28, Jan 21, 2019.

1. The_Cannon28

The_Cannon28 Lurker

My iPhone recently broke, so before I shelled out big bucks for another I thought I'd pick up a cheap Android device to see how the other half lives. Honestly, it's been nice so far. And at $79 the phone is a bargain. But ever since I got the phone about a week ago I've been getting a strange notification whenever I charge the device.

I continue to get a notification saying "Slow charging. Use the original charger." The thing is, I am using the original charger and micro USB cable the phone came with. I've tried doing resets and even wiping the phone completely. Still, the notification persists. Another strange thing is that the phone itself doesn't really seem to be charging all that slowly. The other morning I was at 5% so I plugged the phone in and went about my business. Just a few minutes shy of two hours later the phone hit 100%, but the notification to use the original charger was there again, too.

Could it be a bad charging brick or cable? I don't have a spare Micro USB laying around or I would have tested that already. Any other ideas?

athenajackson3235 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Yes, possible defective cable and isn't getting the capable current supply.. By all means, get a USB 3.0 to micro-USB and if things haven't improved you can try finding an appropriate charging block with same output voltage/amps

The_Cannon28 likes this.
  3. The_Cannon28

The_Cannon28 Lurker

So if I purchased an Anker cable from Amazon because, where it isn't an OEM product, will I still be having the same issue? Or must it be Motorola brand?

4. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

Should be just fine.. I have absolutely no issues while using the USB 3.0 cables on both my Motorola devices

The_Cannon28 likes this.
  5. The_Cannon28

The_Cannon28 Lurker

I'll try that then. Thanks for the help.

6. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

I got my Moto E5 play back in October paid only $69 for it probably $73 with tax. Overall not a bad little phone

7. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

I'm gonna go 'hannah' the Moto E5 Plus..

8. The-Truth

The-Truth Android Expert

Go ham on the'hannah' bcrichster! a.k.a THE ROMINATOR! Fastest dev in the east. CHET!!! the west aswell! Man I cant wait to jump on one of these motos!

SERINA PETE and bcrichster like this.

moto e(5) play Forum

The moto e(5) play release date was July 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 425 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

July 2018
Release Date
Reviews