1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Moto E7ipower on Android 10

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Graham Windsor, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Graham Windsor

I have just changed my ancient Iphone for this phone which is the first Android phone I have ever bought.
    I like it a lot.
    Can you help me with the home screen. I'd like it to show how many unread messages I have received in the way the Iphone does.

Thanks very much

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Well I don't know how Moto does it exactly, but I guess it uses badge notifications, as many Android devices do, i.e. it shows a number next to the messages app icon on the home screen, for the number of unread messages.

Of course I don't know the way an iPhone does it.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

An option is to install a different launcher from the play store such as Nova launcher, which let's you customize your home screen and icons as you wish, including notification badges

Graham Windsor and mikedt like this.
  4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Switching from an iPhone to an Android phone can be a challenge but a lot of people do it, both ways really, so yeah, setting up something like Notifications can be confusing at first. Once your brain is all comfortable with how to do things the Apple way, now you need to teach yourself to get familiar with Android. A big, big part of switching between different platforms is you do need to reset all your expectations on being able to do things the same way as before. Just generally most smartphones no matter what operating system, tend to have the same overall appearance and we interact with them in a similar way -- there's a flat rectangular slab with a touchscreen that's backlit and we use our fingers to tap on icons and swipe things. So in that aspect there's not a lot of difference between your iPhone and your Moto. The operating systems that run on each phone, on the other hand, are significantly different from each other, and their respective user interfaces are as well. So using one or the other as a day-to-day phone won't be that different, at least until your get your Moto set up properly. That's the major issue you need to address, just getting comfortable with setting up your new phone. Once you do get to the point where its configured the way you want, than you just do what you've always done, just taps on icons and such.

Anyway, a plus point to your Moto E7 Power is Motorola tends to rely upon a more or less clean, unaltered version of Android on its phones. Some manufacturers opt to go a different route and heavily brand their phones with a lot of their own apps added in and their own launchers with changes to the UI itself. Moto phones only have some minor Motorola additions but the Settings menu is basically Android as is, and it's the Settings menu you should need to focus on getting comfortable with to set up your phone the way you want. I'd suggest you don't install a lot of third-party apps and things right now, get familiar with your phone as it is, get it configured to suit your needs, and then you'll want to add stuff you think you'll need. At this point you need to get comfortable with your phone, not your phone and a bunch of apps and utilities too. (note there are countless apps and things to add to your phone in Google's Play Store once you're ready)
    So sit down and start digging through the Settings menu. The options and settings in the Settings menu on your phone has been customized to directly relate to your phone's specific hardware specifications and capabilities. Open each one up to get a handle on what your Moto can do and take note of the options that you can manage to suit your preferences. Note that there are often a lot of sub-menus (accessible with a gear icon, or hamburger icon, or three-dot icon) and/or contextual menus (typically accessible by long-pressing). Try to not alter too many things at once, or at least document things you alter or disable -- it could be an instance where you find you've turned off something you do want to use later so you want to just go back to the Settings menu and enable things too. Don't rush things and once you do get comfortable with your phone's Settings menu, that will give you a better sense of your Moto's overall functionality.

Below is a link to the user manual for your model on Motorola's site:
    https://help.motorola.com/hc/1776/10/pdf/help-moto-e7-power-10-global-en-us.pdf
    And this page is just the hardware specs list you might find worth bookmarking as a reference:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e7_power-10738.php
    Your Moto E7 Power is running Android 10 isn't it? If so, this is a long, very detailed review on 10:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/09/android-10-the-ars-technica-review/

This is just a suggestion but you'll probably find it necessary to have good file manager app to copy/move/edit files and folders on your phone, and micro SD card if you've installed one in your phone. Try this Moto File Manager app, it's developed and maintained by Motorola, and it has an intuitive, user-friendly interface:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.FileBrowser2&hl=en
    It's a capable file manager app that's easy to just use and will be suitable for most people. There are plenty of other file managers too though, with bigger feature sets and more functionality (i.e. inherent networking capability, text editing, etc.)

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.