• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G died and now wont charge!

I bought moto g3 ........this phone has mainly two problems.........this phone gets hot very soon.......and the charge gets down quickly..........one day in the morning my phone hade 100percentage charge ..........and in the evening I came from the college and saw the charge was about 60percentage.......is there any solution .......to overcome these two problems,,,,,pls any one reply to me

Upvote 0
Modern phones drain the battery quite quickly. My phone (MOTO G, first version) runs barely longer than a day.

One of the main culprits is the apps I'm running. I have a "track my location and activities" app running all the time. This is a serious battery drain.

Also, I have the impression that sometimes an app or part of the OS gets stuck. I don't know what. When that happens, the phone gets hot, and I haven't found any other workaround than rebooting the phone.
(Thom, move my reply along if velprakash is talking about the newer model...)

Upvote 0
There's a fix for this it happened to me too. I don't know where I found it but I didn't discover this.

But plug it in and hold the power button until the notification led blinks(this can take up to 5 mins of holding power button) . Continue holding power then the white screen with battery symbol will come on then let go and let it charge u can turn it on when its at 3 % or so.

If you search Google you can find a page saying this bug is solved that's where I got it.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH, I DONT KNOW HOW TO REPAY YOU, IT'S BEEN WELL OVER A COUPLE OF HOURS OF SEARCHING FOR A FIX

Upvote 0
Here is how I solved my problem!

How it all started - Got a call when the battery was around 5% in the evening and after the call forgot to charge. When I checked back after 30 min it was switched off. Then connected the phone to the PC (for like 2 mins) but had to go out for an urgent work. Took the phone with me (still switched off). After returning after 2 hours, when I plugged in the charger, the notification led shone continuously but no battery sign was displayed in the screen. Left it to charge for about an hour. When I powered on, nothing changed. The led kept on shining and the phone wouldn't turn on. At this point I tried the force power on, by holding the power button for 2 mins....didn't work. Tried the power and vol up combo...still nothing.

Few months ago, something similar had happened to my Acer Iconia B1 tab (a piece of crap!!). It too had run completely out of battery and wouldn't recharge on its own. I thought it had died (for good!) but when I took it to repair, the repair guy removed the battery and charged it using his multimeter. Once it got charged to 10%, he plugged it in and the tab switched back on and has been working ever since.

I suspected my mobile had similar problem. I started searching and I found that lots of other people had similar problem. I tried all the solutions listed in here and in xda as well as motorola forum, to no success.

I left the phone plugged in and went to sleep. After waking up in the morning, nothing had changed. Then I left the phone alone for 8 more hours, hoping that it would recover some charge to fire up the charging system. But no success. Then I just went ahead and opened up the phone, removed the battery and took it to a repair guy, who again used his multimeter to charge the battery. I charged the battery for about an hour and then put it back in the phone. And voila! it booted.

Conclusion: The software that lets the phone charge the battery is in the motherboard and it requires some power to function (that's why you won't be able to charge your phone while the its system is updating). In normal cases, the phone shuts itself before it has completely drained out, in order to save some power to get the charging system to function. However, sometimes the phones fails to shut off before it completely runs out of reserve power for the charging system. That's when we get problem like ours. The solution is simple - restore enough power in the battery, so, that the charging system can work. Since, the rechargeable batteries regain a little bit of power when left idle, or when frozen; many users who experienced this problem solved it by leaving the phone idle overnight or in the freezer. However, sometimes, the battery can get so discharged that these simple solutions cannot recover enough power for the charging system to work (like my case). In such scenario, just remove the battery and get it recharged using external chargers. When you will plug it back in, your problem should be solved!

Hope it helps!

Upvote 0
You've got the gest of the situation correct, but have a few details wrong.
the repair guy removed the battery and charged it using his multimeter.
A multimeter is a devices that only measures. It can be used to monitor the progress of the charging process, but the charge is coming from somewhere else. Most likely his "lab power supply", but with some care lots of other electronic devices can be persuaded to provide a charging current to a dead battery.
Then I left the phone alone for 8 more hours, hoping that it would recover some charge to fire up the charging system. But no success.
The phone (Moto G) tries to start up when the charging level reaches something like 1%. During the startup sequence it then uses more current than the charger is supplying, so it requires some charge in the battery to finish the booting and go into low-power mode. However the hardware tries to prevent damage to the battery by shutting down the CPU.
who again used his multimeter to charge the battery. I charged the battery for about an hour and then put it back in the phone. And voila! it booted.
Again he used the multimeter to monitor the charging.
Conclusion: The software that lets the phone charge the battery is in the motherboard and it requires some power to function (that's why you won't be able to charge your phone while the its system is updating). In normal cases, the phone shuts itself before it has completely drained out, in order to save some power to get the charging system to function. However, sometimes the phones fails to shut off before it completely runs out of reserve power for the charging system. That's when we get problem like ours. The solution is simple - restore enough power in the battery, so, that the charging system can work. Since, the rechargeable batteries regain a little bit of power when left idle, or when frozen; many users who experienced this problem solved it by leaving the phone idle overnight or in the freezer. However, sometimes, the battery can get so discharged that these simple solutions cannot recover enough power for the charging system to work (like my case). In such scenario, just remove the battery and get it recharged using external chargers. When you will plug it back in, your problem should be solved!
No. The phone has a "hardware" emergency charging system that works without intervention of the CPU. Some of the hints above that work for some people to get their phone back to life are based on getting the phone to stop in the bootloader. You can then chose to boot "recovery mode" or stuff like that, but just letting it sit there asking for what to boot, costs way less energy than "booting the OS", so that effectively you're still charging. Then after 10 minutes you can simply chose "normal boot" and the phone works again.

In my experience apparently in lollipop they added a quick: "if battery < 10% sleep for a while using little power" in the boot sequence. This means that the phone behaves as normal people would expect: If the battery runs down, you connect it to a charger and after a while the phone will work again.

Upvote 0
OK, here is my issue, fairly similar to the ones previously mentionned, but I'll mention it anyway. I own a 1st gen Motorola Moto G (I believe the code is XT1033), 8 GB central memory. Over the time I've had it, even though I try to recharge it whenever I can, it's shut down from 0% battery, but 99% of the time it gets a full charge overnight. Usually, I would plug it in, leave it for however many hours it needed to charge and pick it up next day in the morning. The battery life had been getting worse over time. Also, sometimes, it would feel hot to the touch. Now, today I was playing with some of the settings, and switched the android runtime from Dalvik to ART (running Android 4.4.4). Since I did that, I'm having issues with opening the phone; namely, an error of "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped.". Now, I had switched back and forth between ART and Dalvik a few time in the past, only to usually settle for Dalvik. This time, however, the phone is struggling to charge and the error message doesn't let me past. The same problem is also explained here (https://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2013/391289-something-seriously-wrong-my-moto-g.html). I tried neofreek01's solution to no avail. In quotes below.

("There's a fix for this it happened to me too. I don't know where I found it but I didn't discover this.

But plug it in and hold the power button until the notification led blinks(this can take up to 5 mins of holding power button) . Continue holding power then the white screen with battery symbol will come on then let go and let it charge u can turn it on when its at 3 % or so.

If you search Google you can find a page saying this bug is solved that's where I got it.")

sajidr's solution almost seemed to get me somewhere, except again, I was unable to get it done in time.
The phone would turn off really quickly, not giving me enough time to change much through the settings menu.

I don't feel brave enough to take my phone and charger apart, let alone the time and money it will possibly need if I do it on my own. Any suggestions? I seem to think that the battery was towards the end of it's life and that this was the last straw, but I hope someone can prove me wrong...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones