• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto g phones?

The Moto phones have a lot of issues. I tried a G Stylus and couldn't after a few weeks. Flat UI without a way to downgrade to Android 4.4 or lower, a really awkward means to just unlock bootloader and root, then any custom ROM showing a 'red triangle warning' and refusing to boot (SafetyNet garbage) and ultimately, faulty or unreliable Bluetooth connectivity which really broke the deal.

I'm much happer with my S4 Mini. Until they can make a phone like that, with actual features (IR blaster, removable battery, headphone jack, buttons vs. forced weird gestures) and a UI I can stand to look at (I've been so sick of this flat UI trend for the last decade as it just reminds me of 1990 UI design and I was glad it was gone the first time and have no interest in reliving the glory days of MS DOS or Windows 1.x again) then there's no upgrade for me. I can't help the OP since they depend on apps that require a new phone every so often which I don't depend on personally..They have to work with what they have available, and the selection is just awful. There hasn't been any real tech innovation since 2014, only features being removed and phones becoming more frustrating to use and less practically sized. Corporations don't care about their customer's wants, they just tell customers what they want and we have no say. We just choose what's available and if we depend on an app that needs modern support to work, well, we're left with choosing what's available.

Once again, NO one demanded smartphones with over 6" screens or features being removed. The market had no say, they were artificially manipulated by forced app updates and limited choices to keep using those apps with modern phones.

Me personally I choose an older phone specifically because it will never get updates. I don't believe in them after Windows 8, iOS 7 and Android 5.x became a thing. All I need is something I can confidently use and that I never have to worry about it ever changing. Unwanted and forced software updates and UI redesigns (which are always worse) are no different than someone coming into my home and replacing the furniture and vintage tech with smart home future tech. It's my device and I will use it as I see fit. All I use my phone for is SMS/MMS and playing music most of the time and as long as I can do that and not have to constantly relearn everything I'll be a happy deer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones