• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G Power (2020) Headphone Jack Wearing Out/Replacement

Spec_tech

Feb 2, 2021
Hi everyone.

So I figured this would inevitably happen, but not this quickly. The headphone jack on my 2020 Moto G Power seems to be wearing out from the use it's gotten.

The typical angled 3.5mm audio cable I use to hook up to my cars aux port seems to only work in certain positions over the past week. And if it gets jiggled around even slightly, it'll become "disconnected" and the phone will switch to speaker audio instead of headphone audio

Does anybody know if the jack is easily replaceable? Or is it one of those ones that's soldered to the board and could cause other issues if it's replaced? I'm willing to give it a try if there's some instructions or a video has been posted somewhere on how to do it, but i haven't been able to find that many regarding the 2020 Moto G Power.

If anybody is aware of any links to such instructions/videos, it would be greatly appreciated.

Without actually knowing, I would say that it is soldered to a circuit board.

They are replaceable, but they and their connections are tiny.

Have you tried a different cord?
Even a set of headphones can be used as a test.
And if possible, use a straight cord, because those angled ones are prone to issues.

If all else fails, try cleaning the cord end, and be sure that there is no debris in the jack itself.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones