• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto G Pure OEM unlocking grayed out

saphta

Jun 3, 2023
Hi guys, got a Moto G Pure, XT2163-4 Canadian retail that has the OEM unlocking grayed out in Developer options. What I've tried so far:
1. Reflashed it using RSA (ELLIS_RETAIL_S3RHS32.20_42_10_17_3)
2. Reset to factory settings
3. Someone reported that after 2 days of use the OEM unlock wasn't grayed out no more and was able to enable it. I started using the phone last night so fingers crossed.

I've got my code to unlock the OEM through fastboot from Motorola but until OEM Unlock is enabled, I can't do it.
Any other ideas will be appreciated.

• If the OEM Unlock button is greyed out, it is likely a network connection issue. Ensure that your phone is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data for at least 72 hours, and that will automatically fix the OEM Unlock toggle. After 72 hours, restart your phone. If the option still doesn’t show up, contact the network carrier. Some Moto G users found that having them lock the phone again worked.

who is your carrier? some carriers do not allow unlocking the bootloader. have you tried calling them?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Zoomer wireless is the carrier, they use Rogers network afaik. I did call them, I was told there's noting they can do, to contact Motorola who's the OEM. I called Motorola, got the unlock code but it's useless without the OEM unlocking toggle. They said to speak with my provider about it...

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Zoomer wireless is the carrier, they use Rogers network afaik. I did call them, I was told there's noting they can do, to contact Motorola who's the OEM. I called Motorola, got the unlock code but it's useless without the OEM unlocking toggle. They said to speak with my provider about it...
did you ask your provider if they allow the bootloader to be unlocked? is the phone carrier locked to Rogers?

Upvote 0
I was thinking if I patch the boot file with magisk, replace the original boot file with the patched one and reflash with RSA, will I get root?
not without unlocking the bootloader as far as i know. don't have your phone, but i'm familiar with most rooting concepts. from what i have searched there is no method that will alter oem unlock being greyed out. it was mentioned having a good wifi connection might help. and that it could take a few days to change after getting the code.

Upvote 0
well according to oarngefox website:OrangeFox Recovery Downloads they do not have a recovery for your device.

i found this though:

Upvote 0
I saw that page before, that's why I was asking about the orangefox recovery. According to them:
"Well Folks This here is Lineage Os 20 android 13 ROM and OrangeFox Recovery With Built-in INCLUDED Magisk
for your Moto G Pure XT2163-4" so there's a custom recovery for G pure.
yes, but not an official one from orangefox. it was developed by @Astr4y4L.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze I missed that...hopefully we can have the recovery posted here. Please and thank you.
@Astr4y4L I'm trying to extract the Orangefox recovery file from the ROM you've uploaded to Mega, which file is it? I've attached a screenshot of the archive content.
I've got the second Orangefox recovery (the one for different touch screens) but I want to install the one from the ROM first.

Edit: Apparently the custom recovery is part of boot.img, that's why there's no recovery.img in the custom flash. I've posted in the custom ROM thread, asking for a dump of the recovery from the phone that the ROM was installed on. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones