1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Moto G spontaneous factory reset ...twice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ryanms3030, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ryanms3030

ryanms3030 Member

I've had my Moto G for a couple of months now and on two occasions I took it out of my pocket and it was in the initial set up screen as if it was brand new out of the box. I certainly did not initiate a factory reset and my phone is password protected with the screen locked so I can't fathom how it could possible happen while in my pocket.

First off, anyone else experience this? luckily my contacts and stuff are all in the cloud but still have to reinstall all my apps and customize etc. Very annoying

Advertisement

2. travioso

travioso Android Expert

Are you running stock or custom ROM? None the less that is weird..

3. Did you get it from a carrier or some other source?

Have you authorized some app to initiate a Factory Data Rest remotely?

Android Device Manager perhaps?

Cerberus perhaps?

If so ... change your password.

What I'm wondering is if someone got your account/password and is "playing" with you from a remote desktop or phone.

... Thom

4. ryanms3030

ryanms3030 Member

Phone was purchased directly from Motorola and used on Metro PCS. Running stock ROM, no apps that authorize remote reset.

When you say reset password are you saying reset on my google account? The whole thing is weird and annoying. I've had about 10 android devices and this is a first

5. The reset password suggestion was if you had apps that allowed remote reset. Since you don't then I don't think that it is needed.

If it was me, I would be standing in a Verizon store right now. After you discuss it with them I assume a replacement will be started.

Please let us know.

... Thom

6. Nomade

Nomade Newbie

Besides android device manager there's a Motorola stock app that activate that remote reset. Not really sure right now which one but I remember saying no to that when I first set up my Moto G.

7. Nomade

Nomade Newbie

Got it. Go to settings, security, device administrators and check if something is ticked

[​IMG]

8. MikeFromHC

MikeFromHC Member

I think that might have happened to me. I gave my phone to a friend to carry around a while to see if Republic Wireless would work for her.
    When I got it back it was reset to what I assume was the factory setting. Everythig was gone. Thanks to Google I got my contacts back just by signing in again.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.