1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Moto G3: IMEI Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KapitanPronin, Mar 2, 2016.

1. KapitanPronin

KapitanPronin Lurker

Good evening, fellow Motorola users!

I bought my new Moto G3 (GSM) last week as a replacement for my old Nokia cell (it still has number keys, wooo) and with it it is time to switch my mobile carrier.

For my Nokia, I was using AT&Ts Go Phone prepaid plan because the phone didn't have any data functions anyway and I don't call/write MMS that much.

Anyway, checking out all the available carriers here I noticed a problem with my IMEI. AT&T and Verizon ask for an IMEI confirmation, which I did, however, Verizon just says my device is not supported while AT&T tells me my phone works with their network, but they can't link it to a device.

Checking IMEIdata.net tells me that AT&T doesn't recognise my IMEI, but for Verizon it is "clean". For T-Mobile and Sprint is is just "unknown" at IMEIdata, but I was able to get into the checkout session for T-Mobile cuz i didn't have to enter the IMEI.

My old AT&T GoPhone sim as well as my German SIM-Card (hooked up to T-Mobiles network) work absolutely flawless.

So what do you think is wrong here? Maybe some guy bought a cheap chinese phone copy associated with my IMEI and registered it?

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,

Kapitan

2. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

First, your probably worrying about this too much. The Moto G 2015 is a GSM phone and is incompatible with Verizon and Sprint and other CDMA based carriers in the US, so forget those.

AT&T and T-Mobile use the IMEI for basically 2 things, to make sure the device isn't stolen and to know it's capabilities (there are other things, but these are the major ones). Just put your SIM in your Moto G and it should be good to go, if you want to add data or LTE to your account go into an AT&T store or call customer service, even if a IMEI is unknown, they put a dummy one in the system to give you those capabilities (used to due it to get LTE on the Nexus 4 all the time since it's IMEI capability showed 3G only).

Oh, and an old trick to get around the IMEI requirement when ordering online... Enter fifteen 9's for the IMEI. :)

#2 acejavelin, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) release date is unknown..Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown.
Release Date
Reviews