1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Moto G4 USB Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lmorgan79, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Lmorgan79

Lmorgan79 Lurker

I've tried everything, but I can't get my moto g4 to connect via USB. The USB cord is proven good, does data and power, MTP does NOT show up under device manager, nor does "other devices", etc.

I've tried the MTP Porting kit, to no avail. Moto Device Manager doesn't work either.

I don't want to lose all the stuff on my phone. Can I just reset the USB ports? All the USB ports on my W7 PC work fine, and recognize other devices.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Just to cover the bases, does your moto charge when connected to your PC? Is there a setting on the moto dictating how it behaves when connected to a PC? Have you tried to make a data connection to a different PC?

I hope we can sort this out for you. Welcome to Android Forums.

3. Lmorgan79

Lmorgan79 Lurker

It does charge, and there's a charging notification, but there is no notification that allows me to change/control the USB port (to MTP). I have Developer Options, and USB Debugging turned on, but it doesn't change a thing. USB Tethering is also grayed out, so nothing there either.

4. olbriar

olbriar  

I'm not familiar with your Moto but I find this on the net for transferring files.

How do I transfer files from my Moto G to my laptop?
    Procedure
    1. Ensure phone is unlocked.
    2. Connect the phone to the PC using a USB cable.
    3. Drag the notification bar down.
    4. Tap USB charging this device, or Use USB for.
    5. Tap Transfer files or File Transfer.
    I hope this is will solve your data transfer problem.

5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Are you plugging your G4 directly into one of your computer's USB ports or are using something like a USB hub?

Try reinstalling the driver:
    https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers
    and don't forget to just try restarting your phone and your PC.

Another option is to use a WiFi file transfer solution like the AirDroid app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en_US
    With AirDroid installed on your G4, you connect wirelessly so you don't have to deal with any USB issues that might pop up (MTP/PTP/mass storage settings, driver issues for certain operating systems or operating system versions, etc.) so you do need to have your phone and your computer using the same local network. Then it's just a matter a of starting up the AirDroid app on your phone and you use any web browser on your computer/laptop to connect the two.

olbriar likes this.
  6. Lmorgan79

Lmorgan79 Lurker

#4 is where it fails. Normally, I would get an option to change the USB configuration (to MTP), but instead, I get nothing.

7. olbriar

olbriar  

It sounds software related for sure. You might take a serious look at the options svim posted above. Sorry I was of no help.

8. Lmorgan79

Lmorgan79 Lurker

AirDroid did it for me. My G4 won't turbocharge either. Related to the USB problem?

olbriar likes this.
  9. olbriar

olbriar  

I suspect the problems are related. A factory reset would no doubt correct both problems. Drastic measures however. I'm glad that you were able to transfer your files. Thumbs up to svim for posting a work-a-round and thanks for joining and using these forums.

Motorola Moto G4

The Moto G 4th Gen (G4) was released in Brazil and India on May, 2016, followed by the US in June that same year. The Moto G4 features 5.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 617 processor, 32GB storage, 2GB RAM, 13MP rear/5MP front facing cameras, and a 3,000 mAh battery.