• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto G6 Battery question, did I get a bad unit?

Spitts

Lurker
Dec 3, 2018
I had a great experience with a Moto G5 Plus so when I needed a new phone I bought a Moto G6 (Amazon Special Edition 4GB ram/64GB storage) on Cyber Monday. I've had the G6 2 days and I'm starting to wonder if I got a unit with a bad battery. I unplugged my phone this morning and without even turning on the screen I was at 95%battery 20 min later. While Playing Clash Royale the battery will drain 1% every 30-45 seconds and it doesn't seem right, I expected more from a brand new phone. Does anyone else have any experience with this phone and is battery life really that bad?

I am in the process of returning the phone to Amazon and don't know if I should try again with the G6 or look for something totally different. Besides the battery I really like the phone and I'm hoping this isn't normal

I unplugged my phone this morning and without even turning on the screen I was at 95% battery 20 min later
That does seem excessive. Do you have similar results over several hours?

Go to Settings -> Battery. Does it show any apps using lots of power?

Do you have poor reception at your home? That uses more power compared to having a good reception.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
That does seem excessive. Do you have similar results over several hours?

Go to Settings -> Battery. Does it show any apps using lots of power?

Do you have poor reception at your home? That uses more power compared to having a good reception.

Thanks for the response. The battery seems to go from 100%-70% really quickly, within an hour of being unplugged and then slows down a little but still much faster then I would expect. I have been keeping an eye on the battery usage but it doesn't really add up. Most apps are saying about 1% battery per minute active and that seems pretty bad compared to other phones I've had. I have decent LTE reception at my house so I don't think that's the cause and I made sure all the normal battery drains were off and my screen was at about 70%

Upvote 0
A brand-new battery could take a couple of charging cycles to be fully operational. For example, let it discharge to around 20% and charge it to full will make a complete charging cycle.

But even with a healthy battery, losing 1% per minute while playing games is normal. My 3200mAh battery loses up to 15% battery for 10 minutes of moto racing game.

Upvote 0
Not currently using my G6 daily but this is a screenshot of my battery usage from back in August. No game play. Just internet surfing and video streaming.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180823-183852.png
    Screenshot_20180823-183852.png
    383.3 KB · Views: 320
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Not currently using my G6 daily but this is a screenshot of my battery usage from back in August. No game play. Just internet surfing and video streaming.
That seems reasonable. 4.5 hours of screen time and nearly 40% battery left. I'm at 2 hours screen time with 10% left. I guess I'll try another one and see how it goes. I am a bit bummed because I just found on the Motorola website they're selling the Moto G5s Plus with 4gb/64/gb for $200. Thats cheaper than I pad for the G6 and IMO it's a better phone.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
A brand-new battery could take a couple of charging cycles to be fully operational. For example, let it discharge to around 20% and charge it to full will make a complete charging cycle.

But even with a healthy battery, losing 1% per minute while playing games is normal. My 3200mAh battery loses up to 15% battery for 10 minutes of moto racing game.
That's crazy. My Moto G5 could game for 30 min and drop 5% with full brightness screen. It doesn't seem right buying a newer generation phone that is worse in almost every way

Upvote 0
View attachment 137897

This is the current battery life estimation of my HTC 10, probably the worse phone on the market when it comes to battery life.

Anyways it's perfectly normal if you get at least 6 or 7 hours of battery life while using Chrome like I actually do.
That's still about double what I am getting. I was kinda rushing while shopping and settled on the G6 without seeing Motorola is selling the G5 Plus with 4gb on their site for $200. I would have 100% went with that but now my money is stuck on Amazon

Upvote 0
Did you optimized your phone's settings?

Please note that my phone is Wi-Fi only so I can activate Airplane mode which saves a lot of resources. If your phone constantly uses 3G or 4G, the battery life might be inferior.
Yeah I turned off everything not essential and have the screen down to about 80%. I think I'm going to return this second phone and get something else. I'm pretty disappointed because I have always loved Moto phones. I don't even know where to start looking now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones