• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MOTO G7 rotates upside down and gets stuck in landscape

785Droid

Lurker
Feb 27, 2020
Hi guys,
I bought my G7 Power about 3 months ago. It has worked fine until this morning. When i unlock the phone, the screen is straight up and down as you would normally hold it. If i turn the phone counter clockwise the screen goes in to landscape but it is upside and it is stuck in that position. I have to turn hit the power button to shut off the screen then hit it again to get the phone screen to go back to its normal, upright, portrait position. If i turn the phone clockwise it goes into landscape and it IS right side, up as it should be, but it is stuck in that position and i have to hit the power button to turn off the screen, then hit it again to get it back to portrait. Also, my camera screen is always in landscape even though the phone is upright and all photos are saved as if i took them with the phone in the landscape position.. I have started the phone in safe mode and it does the same thing. I have cleared my caches. I have powered the phone off and on several times including doing it by holding down the power button for 15-30 seconds, it never fixes anything. I have also turned my home screen rotation on and off as well as my auto-rotation. If i shut them off, the phone stays in portrait, once i turn them back on, it does the same thing.

Have you tried just disabling screen rotation, restart your G7, and then enable it again. Perhaps something just got 'stuck' as far as some config setting.
Otherwise, try installing this Aida64 app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.finalwire.aida64&hl=en_US
It's just a basic hardware info utility that will show you details on various components inside your phone. Look in the 'Sensors' category -- from what you described if there's a Orientation sensor, it should show all kinds of Azimuth, Pitch, and Roll numbers jumping around.

But as @Dannydet already mentioned, given all the things you've tried it might be time to just take the phone in to be looked over. It's still pretty new so you should still be covered by a warranty. Back up your data and files first though, just in case.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Have you tried just disabling screen rotation, restart your G7, and then enable it again. Perhaps something just got 'stuck' as far as some config setting.
Otherwise, try installing this Aida64 app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.finalwire.aida64&hl=en_US
It's just a basic hardware info utility that will show you details on various components inside your phone. Look in the 'Sensors' category -- from what you described if there's a Orientation sensor, it should show all kinds of Azimuth, Pitch, and Roll numbers jumping around.

But as @Dannydet already mentioned, given all the things you've tried it might be time to just take the phone in to be looked over. It's still pretty new so you should still be covered by a warranty. Back up your data and files first though, just in case.

I tried disabling, restarting and enabling screen rotation again...no luck. I called Verizon and they said they wont fix the phone because i bought it through WalMart...WalMart says they wont look at it because they only sell phones, they dont repair them. Its a "pass the buck" situation. I bought the phone through WalMart because it was $129.... Verizon wanted $399.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones