• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

moto has left a bad taste in my mouth

mshest

Nov 7, 2009
i used to have the nightmarish v710...

i've had the OG droid since it came out went through numerous swaps but still same issues remained: bluetooth dropping off onto headset, restarts.

i'm in an area where sprint works too but att and tmobile not so well. because i couldn't handle the delays i went to sprint and got the photon... getting BT issues, getting sleep of death... still within my 30 days so will return.

i kinda want the bionic because moto is the only one with a multicolored led notification and because its not obnoxiously large like those other phones with the 4.5 inch screens.

but at this point moto has just traumatized me with the BT and the restart/sleep issues. i'm seriously considering the samsung product (sg2 on sprint) but i am aware that sammy will have its own issues i'm sure.

just seems like moto has those 2 specific problems (bt and reboots) and they can't seem to shake them. i rather have a malfunctioning gps chip... i use gps on the phone much less than bt.

any words of comfort for THIS motorola product?

I would suggest you take your time and look to yourself for comfort.

If I were you and I felt reasonably burned by Moto I'd urge you to not buy either phone on their drop days and give them a few weeks and let things shake out. Watch the forums for bug reports, go to a brick and mortar to play with each and then go with the one you are most confident in and like the best.

I've had my OG Droid since drop day and I've not had any problems with it so I can't speak to your specific issues. Sure my phone's a bit sluggish, has a massively broken screen because I dropped it a couple months ago but it's still plugging along and will get me by until I get my hands on the Bionic.

In the end it all comes down to your personal preference and nothing you read on here will inform your decision better than your own personal experience and opinion.

Good luck.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Yea....I could make a similar post about Samsung, with my experience with them dating back pre Android (G1) with the u740...a regular cell phone.

Some folks could make a similar post about HTC after using the Thunderbolt. Some could make a similar post about Samsung after using the GS 1. lol

Figure out which cons you can live with and go from there. If Samsung phones handle BT better than Motorola...choose Samsung. I never really tried it until I got a new car recently. BT works fine with my Droid X1 and my car. I have very little problems with my Droid X1. And there are some ppl that feel like you after using the Droid X1.

Go figure..

Upvote 0
I have a similar feeling towards LG. I've had a VX8300, that sucked. Now I have an LG VX11000, and it's very unstable.

If a manufacturer can't get the software right... nope.

That's why I'm happy to head Yoda say that the Bionic is refined in the style of Apple. I love the stability, and the design. I'm just hoping it gets unlocked.

Upvote 0
...just seems like moto has those 2 specific problems (bt and reboots) and they can't seem to shake them.
[snip]

I've had the OG DROID for almost two years and have experienced only a handful of reboots during the past 2 years, and ZERO BT issues. Your post baffles me. :thinking:

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
just seems like moto has those 2 specific problems (bt and reboots) and they can't seem to shake them. i rather have a malfunctioning gps chip... i use gps on the phone much less than bt.

similar to what Jroc said its probably best to just find a phone that meets your most important needs.

there is probably someone somewhere saying this
" i rather have a malfunctioning bt chip... i use bt on the phone much less than gps."

Upvote 0
i used to have the nightmarish v710...

i've had the OG droid since it came out went through numerous swaps but still same issues remained: bluetooth dropping off onto headset, restarts.

i'm in an area where sprint works too but att and tmobile not so well. because i couldn't handle the delays i went to sprint and got the photon... getting BT issues, getting sleep of death... still within my 30 days so will return.

i kinda want the bionic because moto is the only one with a multicolored led notification and because its not obnoxiously large like those other phones with the 4.5 inch screens.

but at this point moto has just traumatized me with the BT and the restart/sleep issues. i'm seriously considering the samsung product (sg2 on sprint) but i am aware that sammy will have its own issues i'm sure.

My advice to you is to by it either from a reputable retailer like CostCo or else order it online.

I have the same DROID I ordered online 6 Nov 2009 that was delivered the next day to my house (Yes, I paid the extra $20 for expedited delivery).

I later heard that the VZW employees were playing with a lot of the phones in the stores before they were repackaged and sold. I cannot say this is true for certain, but I can say that most of the people experiencing lots of replacements (I know one guy on #7 last I talked to him) bought them in the store, and in particular, after the phones had been out for a few weeks - at the time when replacements were already being issued by ppl playing around on the vanilla interface and hosing their phones, back before SBFs were available to fix even most hosed phones.

Yea....I could make a similar post about Samsung, with my experience with them dating back pre Android (G1) with the u740...a regular cell phone.

Some folks could make a similar post about HTC after using the Thunderbolt. Some could make a similar post about Samsung after using the GS 1. lol

Figure out which cons you can live with and go from there. If Samsung phones handle BT better than Motorola...choose Samsung. I never really tried it until I got a new car recently. BT works fine with my Droid X1 and my car. I have very little problems with my Droid X1. And there are some ppl that feel like you after using the Droid X1.

Go figure..

Wait, the 740, aka the Alias? Regular phone? I think not. that double flip mode (it was my last phone too) made it ripe for trouble. Mine survived b/c I was extra special careful with it....

And, man, that landscape mode with the KB really did it for me and my texting habit....

I have a similar feeling towards LG. I've had a VX8300, that sucked. Now I have an LG VX11000, and it's very unstable.

That's why I'm happy to head Yoda say that the Bionic is refined in the style of Apple. I love the stability, and the design. I'm just hoping it gets unlocked.

lmfao - I have that feeling today with LG...for no real reason, either, since my washer and dryer are 1 year old LG front loaders, and they work like a charm....

I've had the OG DROID for almost two years and have experienced only a handful of reboots during the past 2 years, and ZERO BT issues. Your post baffles me. :thinking:

It shouldn't baffle you. I can show you 3 different users I know personally with replacement woes. Another I know was on the Motorola semi-secret panel with me that was studying the microphone fading / dying effect when talking to ppl, especially in speakerphone mode.

similar to what Jroc said its probably best to just find a phone that meets your most important needs.

there is probably someone somewhere saying this
" i rather have a malfunctioning bt chip... i use bt on the phone much less than gps."

Good point - to each his or her own.

I'm saying "screw the Bionic screen, take a look at those accessories."

lmfao - dude, you have no idea - I am so saying that as well. HDMI dock? Battery charger? LapDock? Friggin too much - I could spend a couple of paychecks on all that schwag!

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I have had a few problems with my OG Droid, and trying to decide which phone I want (and can make my droid last to), the Bionic or the Prime (hopefully it will be on verizon). I have had 2 droids, both had failing power buttons, and the first one actually had the backlight for the screen go out. The one I currently have has absolutely 0 power button functionality, I have to wait for the screen to time out for it to sleep, and now by BT stereo in my car cant access the phone (was working last week). Lets hope the newer phones are better quality...

Upvote 0

I have the VX8300 top quality flip phone. Ive had it for over 4 years. That thing is a beast.

Upvote 0
the fascinate has become a good phone running ed05. good battery bt and stable. the charge still chews battery and has some by quirks. the inc2 is ok if you get one that doesn't buzz in your ear. also good ba5tery but HTC phones are fragile. the most reliable problem free phone will be the iPhone. if you can live with the limited operating system it is a good choice.
the x was the best phone all around I've owned. tough reliable and good battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones