• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto has updated the X's Battery Pull Tab...

Sorry for being open about my opinion then. Maybe some people were just too excited about their X to pay attention to their actions, but I took my time to ensure I didn't do something wrong with my phone, which meant reading things and taking a second look at everything before getting the phone up and running.

I'm very quick to point at things that are done out of a lack of common sense.

However, I honestly don't think this is one of those things. The tab says pull on it. There are many, many situations that we deal with every day where you have to yank off something to expose contacts/delicate areas/clean areas and they often come along with new electronics.

I think that some people can look at it and say, "yeah... that shouldn't come off." But I don't think that has anything to do with common sense.

Upvote 0
Has anyone ever had a phone where they could NOT pull out the battery with their fingers? My Samsung Omnia 2, Blackberry Storm, original Droid, HTC Droid Incredible, and Blackberry Bold all had batteries where you could easily take the battery out without needing any kind of pull tab.

Did anyone expect that the Motorola Droid X was going to have a battery that was going to be excruciatingly difficult to merely impossible to take out with just your fingers?

Perhaps those people who laugh at those who pulled it out should also understand that there was no indication that the phone was going to have a "death grip" on the battery.

It just irks me when people treat others, like myself, who pulled the tab out as "idiots" or "lacking the gift of mechanical intuition" or "lacking common sense". We have reasons and the majority of us pulled it out as a result of reasoning. It may have been the wrong reasoning... but it's not like we were just like "Ooooh shiny plastic... must pull out."

Upvote 0
My boss got one yesterday and I saw the new tab. I insist all company phones get unboxed by me so I can make sure they don't jump in and do something wrong. I always read the instructions due to an incident years ago. I should receive my replacement phone tomorrow which I assume will have the new tab as well.

Upvote 0
My boss got one yesterday and I saw the new tab. I insist all company phones get unboxed by me so I can make sure they don't jump in and do something wrong. I always read the instructions due to an incident years ago. I should receive my replacement phone tomorrow which I assume will have the new tab as well.

Pssh, that's a load of crap.

You just want to play with all of the new phones. Admit it. :D

Upvote 0
I'm very quick to point at things that are done out of a lack of common sense.

However, I honestly don't think this is one of those things. The tab says pull on it. There are many, many situations that we deal with every day where you have to yank off something to expose contacts/delicate areas/clean areas and they often come along with new electronics.

I think that some people can look at it and say, "yeah... that shouldn't come off." But I don't think that has anything to do with common sense.
I understand that it may look like it is there to separate the battery from the contacts, but the battery contacts are on the opposite side of the tab and are not covered. On top of that, I deal with other devices quite often that do have pull tabs to remove the battery, not because they need them, but because it makes removing the battery easier. As such, I assumed the tab was there for battery removal, and I was right.

The reason I say it has to do with common sense is because there are three actions you can take. You can either misunderstand the reasoning for the tab and assume you are suppose to remove it and rip it out of the phone, you can be unsure of its purpose and leave it there unless it causes issues, or you can assume it may be to remove the battery (which I have seen on many electronics...honestly, more-so than those clear plastic pull tabs that separate connections) and leave it alone. 2/3rds of those options bring no harm to the phone, 1/3rd potentially lengthens the time before you can use the phone (if it was suppose to be removed and you left it there, no harm to the phone AND you can still go back and remove it), and 1/3rd removes your battery removal tab AND cannot be easily undone if you were wrong. I personally pick the safer options until I can confirm that the seemingly unsafe option is the option I am suppose to take.

Has anyone ever had a phone where they could NOT pull out the battery with their fingers? My Samsung Omnia 2, Blackberry Storm, original Droid, HTC Droid Incredible, and Blackberry Bold all had batteries where you could easily take the battery out without needing any kind of pull tab.
The Droid X was my first cellphone, but I am use to other electronics that have tabs designed to remove the battery, so that was my assumption on what the X tab was for the moment I saw it.

Perhaps those people who laugh at those who pulled it out should also understand that there was no indication that the phone was going to have a "death grip" on the battery.

"Do Not Cut" was a pretty good indication that it is suppose to stay in the phone IMO. It doesn't matter how hard the battery itself is to remove, a tab that sits underneath the battery and is glued to the phone along with "Do Not Cut" tells me its a battery removal tab, maybe thats due to having seen more battery removal tabs than I have contact separation tabs, but it seemed painfully obvious to me that it was meant to stay.

It just irks me when people treat others, like myself, who pulled the tab out as "idiots" or "lacking the gift of mechanical intuition" or "lacking common sense". We have reasons and the majority of us pulled it out as a result of reasoning. It may have been the wrong reasoning... but it's not like we were just like "Ooooh shiny plastic... must pull out."

Maybe you should take the safer approach and try leaving said tab in place until you know for sure what it is for? The "Do Not Cut" thing along with how well it is attached to the phone told me that it is there to stay. If it was designed to be removed it would have been easily removable.

Upvote 0
I understand that it may look like it is there to separate the battery from the contacts, but the battery contacts are on the opposite side of the tab and are not covered. On top of that, I deal with other devices quite often that do have pull tabs to remove the battery, not because they need them, but because it makes removing the battery easier. As such, I assumed the tab was there for battery removal, and I was right.

The reason I say it has to do with common sense is because there are three actions you can take. You can either misunderstand the reasoning for the tab and assume you are suppose to remove it and rip it out of the phone, you can be unsure of its purpose and leave it there unless it causes issues, or you can assume it may be to remove the battery (which I have seen on many electronics...honestly, more-so than those clear plastic pull tabs that separate connections) and leave it alone. 2/3rds of those options bring no harm to the phone, 1/3rd potentially lengthens the time before you can use the phone (if it was suppose to be removed and you left it there, no harm to the phone AND you can still go back and remove it), and 1/3rd removes your battery removal tab AND cannot be easily undone if you were wrong. I personally pick the safer options until I can confirm that the seemingly unsafe option is the option I am suppose to take.

The Droid X was my first cellphone, but I am use to other electronics that have tabs designed to remove the battery, so that was my assumption on what the X tab was for the moment I saw it.

Seriously?!? Did you write all of that out and compute the probabilities before making your decision? I think you are being a little ridiculous. The tab says

Upvote 0
Essentially... the point that i want to be made is to not insult others who made a reasonable mistake. Verizon got a lot of calls about this and thus Motorola changed the writing as a result. The new tabs is what it should have been in the first place. It's clear and straight to the point. Saying that anyone who did this lacks common sense is essentially calling them an idiot. I have no problem with people expressing their opinion... but there is a better way to express it that isn't insulting and offensive. There have been many threads in relation to this issue and there has always been a few people who just feel they have to show that they're better than others because they didn't pull out the tab. Im sure several of those people received their phones with the battery in it and learned from that. Im definitely not saying that you're part of this group but im just stating that when you're told that you're an idiot in one way or another... its a major vex.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Hey mwpeck, if your logic extends as far as to differentiating clear covers and the material they're made of because you're very used to doing it, this is no longer in the realm of common sense.

These are phones. You know that phones are used by a wide cross section of the population, right? By a lot of people who haven't removed five hundred contact covers to know what material they're generally made of, the resistance they generally give, and where they're generally located? By a wide number of users who know that they don't know everything about electronics, so if something says "pull" and they've occasionally had to pull covers off things, that they'll follow directions?

It's not a matter of, "to me it's common sense." It's not common sense if it's unique to you or those like you. It may be logical to you. It may be easy for you to understand. That's not what common sense is. And you insulted people by claiming that it was "just common sense."

Upvote 0
Hey mwpeck, if your logic extends as far as to differentiating clear covers and the material they're made of because you're very used to doing it, this is no longer in the realm of common sense.
Two clear covers that you are supposed to remove and 1 black piece that is supposed to stay in the phone, to me, common sense should dictate that maybe the piece of plastic that looks and feels completely different from the other pieces of plastic does so for a reason? Again, maybe its just how I am, but if two things you are obviously supposed to remove are both the same, and there is a third piece you are unsure of that looks completely different then the first two, maybe you should look a bit further into that one different piece before going any farther with the phone?

Chances are excitement of getting the phone and wanting to play with it limited the chance of someone taking the time to understand what they were doing before they did it. But that to me still falls under common sense.

These are phones. You know that phones are used by a wide cross section of the population, right? By a lot of people who haven't removed five hundred contact covers to know what material they're generally made of, the resistance they generally give, and where they're generally located? By a wide number of users who know that they don't know everything about electronics, so if something says "pull" and they've occasionally had to pull covers off things, that they'll follow directions?
Following directions would be removing something that says "Remove" or "Pull to remove", not pulling something hard enough to remove it from the phone when it simply says "pull", but thats just me.

It's not a matter of, "to me it's common sense." It's not common sense if it's unique to you or those like you. It may be logical to you. It may be easy for you to understand. That's not what common sense is. And you insulted people by claiming that it was "just common sense."
I can agree with that, but I do not know anyone personally who I think would have ripped it out of the phone just because it said "Pull", and thats covering my entire family and all (none of which are very computer-literate), which is why I called it common sense. If I insulted people because they misunderstood the directions then sorry, but honestly, unless it tells you to remove something why would you remove it?

Upvote 0
Because it just said pull.....it doesnt say if thats before u put the battery in on first use or to be used to pull the battery out as a pull tab.

Like evo678 said, it was an ambiguous label. This is much much more clearer. I have seen cloth tabs that dont have any writing. That I would say would be more of a common sense thing. Why else would that cloth be there for?

I am a gadget, electronic, computer fiend.....and I almost pulled it out. :p
I also did like u said mwpeck and left it alone and put the battery in just to see what happens. When I did that....I understood what it was for then. (still that was after I almost put the battery over top of the tab...)

Coming from the Droid there was no pull tab. I assumed it was gonna be the same way with the X.

(BTW, this is the same debate we were having at another forum....lol)

Upvote 0
Clearly Motorola did not do a good job @ accurately describing the purpose behind the pull tab. Thus it was going to happen that people were going to pull it out, since all that is there is "PULL".

We all have our "idiot" moments and this was Motorola's. Are we idiots for pulling the tab out? Nope. But looking back, it can make some of us look like idiots, though, lol.

Kudo's to Motorola for clearing up the confusion so quickly!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones