1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Moto X $299 or $50

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ebdozit, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ebdozit

ebdozit Member
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Medical Dosimetrist
    Heart of So Cal
    Hello Everyone,

Is buying the Moto X directly from Motorola for $299 (I got a promo code today) really worth it when I can get it from Verizon for $50?

I am torn on what to do. I really hate all of the Verizon bloatware but I am too busy and not really tech savy to root phone.

thank you.

Advertisement

2. bixler777

bixler777 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    So Cal
    this phone has no where near as much 'bloat' on it that your Razr Maxx has (i have a Maxx also), and really, as lightening fast as it is, you may not even desire to root it.

it's a GREAT phone....at least in my estimation. certainly the best i've ever had.

3. ebdozit

ebdozit Member
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Medical Dosimetrist
    Heart of So Cal
    Thank you for your response. I am wondering what is the difference between buying the phone directly from Motorola as opposed from buying it at the Verizon store.

4. bixler777

None

Feb 8, 2010
    So Cal
    well, you buy it directly from motorola, you get your 100 savings...wheres if you 'buy' it at a verizon store, you pay their price...that is, if you are trying to buy it OFF CONTRACT. otherwise, get the lowest price they offer and pony up for 2 more years of contract with it.

i did the off contract thing cuz i dunno for sure that i wanna be tied down for two more years.

5. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    The only difference is the contract. It will have the same preinstalled apps either way. The phone is exactly the same. When you buy for $50 you are committing to a two year contract from that point forward. When you pay full price your contract end date will be the same as it is now. If your contract is already finished, your plan will be month to month, for the same price, but you can end your plan with Verizon at any time without paying a termination fee.

6. fed123

fed123 Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    If you will be taking out a new contract on Verizon why not get one from Amazon for 30.00? Just got one for my wife and she is very happy.

7. bixler777

None

Feb 8, 2010
    So Cal
    yeah, that's the cheapest way to go....IF you're planning on upping up for another 2 years with verizon.

if you're unsure (as i am) about doing so, buying one off contract alleviates the problem...thus whenever you leave Verizon you can do so w/o penalties...and you can just sell the phone to get most of your money back, etc.

but otherwise yeah...IF you're 100% sure you're not gonna be leaving Verizon w/in 2 years, just get one through them.

when my current contract comes up for renewal (May, 2014), and i've decided that i WILL be staying with Verizon, i'll just get another one through them at the inexpensive price, then immediately sell it (at the full market value), essentially paying myself back for the one i just purchased (i'll come out about 'even').

8. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    am I missing something?

No one is going to mention that if the OP has unlimited data currently he will keep it by buying the device from Moto off contract?

Also OP you're really not doing a fair comparison. You're comparing the full retail of the Moto X from Moto versus the Subsidized price of the Moto X through Verizon. If you're looking at Full Retail look at it on both sides.

Personally I would buy from Moto even regardless if data was an issue or not.

9. bixler777

None

Feb 8, 2010
    So Cal
    lol...actually....that was the MAIN reason why i bought mine off contract (so as to KEEP my unlimited data). i just forgot to mention that along the way here. lol

i have the unlimited plan, and can keep it as long as i do NOT buy a 'subsidized' phone directly from Verizon...again, hence my buying it from Moto direct, etc.

thanks for bring that up...as (obviously) i was remiss in doing so.

10. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    In this case, what's the difference? The monthly charge will end up exactly the same. Verizon does not charge extra when you buy on contract, or discount the subsidy when you buy off contract. It only comes into effect if you want to leave the contract early and have to pay an ETF (early termination fee), which these days is $350 at the start if the contract, reducing by $10 per month until the end of 24 months.

11. bixler777

None

Feb 8, 2010
    So Cal
    the diff again is....NOT losing my 'unlimited' data plan...which i WOULD...IF i bought a subsided phone, which requires a NEW 2 year contract, wiping out my current, ongoing unlimited plan. as is, i KEEP my unlimited plan, and can KEEP my currently discounted (corp discount) monthly rate as long (or short) as i want WITHOUT any penalty.