1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Moto X Now Available on VZW

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by imnotmikal, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL
    I stick firmly to my statement. To me, the difference between them is massive.

Advertisement

2. Crewville96

Crewville96 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well you have to remember as well that the Maxx has capacitive buttons, while the X's buttons are on screen. Those buttons add to the size of the phone also. It's not just the .3 inch difference in screen size.

3. Jclem22

Jclem22 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2013
    MA
    I can think of 100 reasons.....Maxx $299 vs MotoX $199 In addition, there's the size: Maxx 5.42x2.8 vs MotoX 5.09x2.57

4. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Personally, I don't like the look of the Maxx. It's certainly not terrible, but I don't like the hard edges that Verizon/Moto seem to be in love with, when it comes to the Droid phones. It also doesn't have virtual buttons, which won't fly for me. After owning multiple devices with virtual buttons, seeing them rearrange in context, and having the ability to manipulate them with custom ROMs, I won't go back.

Speaking of ROMs, I'm also not confident in the dev support behind the Maxx (which I know is locked from VZW), versus at least an unlocked version of the Moto X.

Plus, I like colors.:D

Having played with both, they're both outstanding phones, but the Maxx definitely feels like a bigger device, also confirmed by my partner who is pretty particular about these things.

The Moto X's specs and dimensions really belie the actual feel and performance, in person. It feels small/great and runs butter smooth.

I'll wait for mine in blue, please.

Attached Files:

5. swantonbomboy

swantonbomboy Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Mechanical Design Engineer
    NJ
  6. swantonbomboy

swantonbomboy Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Got the moto x in the mail and attempted to activate it.

Activated on the "dumb" line. Took it off the "dumb" line and then was told by VZW that I need a new SIM card in order to use it on my unlimited line. Looks like I'm taking a trip to VZW at lunch.

7. john248

john248 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2013
    There's a chance VZW won't have it in stock at any local B&M. You might end up ordering it online.

8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Boo! That sucks :mad:

9. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    My issue was the Moto X was activated on the dumb line, but when I tried to put the dumbphone back on, it kept saying the X wasn't activated. Even though it was showing on the screen and I made calls with it. Quick call to VZW got the dumbphone reactivated and only a few more minutes to get the X on my unlimited line.

I was scared a bit at first because I couldn't find the sim card. Turns out it was in the phone all along.

10. swantonbomboy

swantonbomboy Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    OK, once again, Verizon ceases to amaze me with their stupidity. (Though if I knew anything about SIM cards I could've figured this out)

I got the Moto X with a nano-sim installed. I had an online rep help me activate then de-activate the phone. When I told the rep I then needed to have it activated on another line the rep told me that I needed a different nano-sim since the SIM that came with it would only work on that line.

So being a dummy and knowing no better I go to a corporate store who says they will give me one for free.... I get there and they say they have none.

So I call another local corporate store and the tech rep tells me I don't need another card and that she can re-program the nano sim that came with it. A few minutes later I'm a happy camper getting all the settings right on my new phone.

11. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Now that you got to the bottom of it, with a lot of running around, it also occurs to me that you probably could have done that online through your account. I had to authorize a SIM and switch phones around, it was fairly easy to do online. Sorry it didn't occur to me 'til it was too late!!

12. swantonbomboy

swantonbomboy Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    It's cool. Just glad that it all worked out.

Sooo much smoother than my Galaxy Nexus. The screen also looks much better even though its supposed to be the same ppi.

13. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    Got mine in today. Didn't have to call Verizon or anything to activate.

I bought a nano Sim cutter a while ago for an iPhone 5 user, and just decided to cut my current sim to nano size.

Popped out the included one, put mine in, and I was good to go immediately without doing anything over the phone, online, or in store.

Kept my unlimited, too. :)

jimbo1mcm likes this.
  14. Grandmadroid

Grandmadroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Got mine via FedEx this morning. Went to local VZ store for help with activation, only to find out that they have them in the store right now for sale. Ugh. Could have saved the freight! Liking the phone, but having guilt issues when I look at my poor gnex sitting on the counter.

15. john248

john248 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2013
    I went to another VRZ store and they have them in stock. This was not a corporate store. They had a dumby phone available while claiming that a corporate store took their live model.

The phone is shaped well. Bit of a rocker though when you lay it flat on a surface and try to use the phone that way. I figure the UI is similar to the Droid line.

16. Jclem22

Jclem22 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2013
    MA
    I am assuming that the 'VERIZON30' discount is only good if you order on line. Does anyone know for sure?

17. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Phoenix, AZ

I called in my order and was able to use it with the customer service rep.

OutOfPhase likes this.