• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto X or G, ATT or Verizon??

I have a friend who currently uses a Sprint flip phone for voice only, his contract is up shortly and he's thinking of moving to a smartphone. My first bit of advice was not to go and sign a new contract or get a subsidized phone! So, I'd like to point him in the Straight Talk direction, on Android. I'm not sure how much he's willing to spend on a new phone or whether he should go ATT or Verizon. I'm sort of leaning towards ATT/GSM, seems to make more sense to me.

So...sorry for the basic questions but I'm on Verizon so am not familiar with GSM :)

Moto G is 3G only, I think he'd be OK with that (he's certainly not a tech guy) but don't want him to be left in the dust down the road (like he is now, lol).

Moto X is more expensive but has 4G/LTE.

He's not going to understand APN's and updating them. Should I suggest to him the G on ATT through Straight Talk, that seems the best to me. Any troubles anyone is having or had (again, he won't play the switching APN's and having no connection issues etc., has to stay simple).

Is it just a matter of getting the US GSM Moto G and a SIM from Straight Talk?

Any pointers or other ideas? He wants to go the smartphone route, but doesn't have the patience to tinker.

I'm sort of leaning towards ATT
The basic question there is which one gives him better coverage in the areas in which he needs coverage?

He's not going to understand APN's and updating them. Should I suggest to him the G on ATT through Straight Talk, that seems the best to me. Any troubles anyone is having or had (again, he won't play the switching APN's and having no connection issues etc., has to stay simple).
Then he should go single-source. Buy a Straight Talk phone and use Straight Talk service. Then if there's a problem, they can't point at someone else - it's their problem. Otherwise he'll spend hours on various phojne calls, the manufacturer blaming the carrier and the carrier blaming the manufacturer.

(Not that any carrier has really great customer service, but ST, on their Facebook page, seems pretty good.)

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones