• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto X review from a former Nexus owner

happy0506

Jul 24, 2010
chicago
I've had three Nexus phones. The Nexus One, Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4. I am a fan of vanilla Android and was a little apprehensive about anything non-Nexus. However, users of the original Moto X raved about it and said it was very close to stock Android. I made the jump and got the Moto X last Friday. My impressions after using it for five days...

Wow! I love this phone. It is almost stock Android, it is almost all the same as my N4. The customizeable voice recognition and the few Verizon bloatware apps are the only things I notice different. The bloatware isn't really a big deal because you only see it in the app drawer.

I am happy I chose the Moto X over whatever they are going to call the new Nexus. Two main reasons:

1. The build quality of this phone is awesome! I got the standard white with the bamboo back Verizon is offering. It is super solid, thin and the curved back makes it very comfortable to hold. Due to it being thinner and the curved back, it also fits in my pocket better than my N4, even though it is bigger. Nexus devices haven't had a quality build since the Nexus One. Maybe the N5 was better, but I skipped that generation. My N4 creeked and just didn't feel solid.

2. The hands free features are fantastic! I especially like the wave your hand feature to check notifications. You don't realize how nice it is till you have the ability. It is so convenient.

I am excited to further explore the Moto X's hands free commands. The rest of the phone I already know because it is stock Android and the same as my Nexus. If you are a Nexus user deciding if the Moto X is stock Android enough, I say you have no concerns, this thing is awesome!

They shouldn't show up in the app drawer if you disable them. They should just be in the app section under settings. Either way I'm glad you like the phone. I've having a real internal debate about going to the nexus after getting the first gen X. The added features of the X have been worth it and I love the active notification screen. As it is, I tap my screen to "move the phone" and the notifications or lack there of pop up. I'm really wanting the hand motion!

Did you get the 16 gig or 32 model? Would you happen to remember the free space before installing apps? I'm not a power user but 16 is cutting close on my X. I'm usually withing 600 meg of being full.

Upvote 0
A-ha, you guys are right, they do disappear from the app drawer. I never checked that before, that's great! I rarely launch apps from there, so I didn't disable all the bloatware apps. I will now. :)

I have the 16GB model, but I don't keep large amounts of pictures, music or the big storage hungry games on my phone, so I never really have a problem with running out of space.

Upvote 0
2. The hands free features are fantastic! I especially like the wave your hand feature to check notifications. You don't realize how nice it is till you have the ability. It is so convenient.

As a first gen Moto X user and a previous Nexus user, I can't stand the active display system. I'd much rather have a notification LED. This is of course all user opinion but the LED was so much more useful to me. I play with my phone while it's within arm's reach too much, the active display is practically always on. Even when it's just sitting on my desk or in my car, every bump in the road or on the table turns the active display on. Now if I set it down on my nightstand to charge and I'm across the room, a quick glance at it would tell me if there was a notification had there been a LED. But with the active display feature I now have to go over there and move the phone to check it? A waste of a feature if you ask me, especially since there is a charging LED built into it, but it can't be used for notifications. If it's already there, why couldn't they just have it be a setting to change between AD or the LED, or hell....use both at the same time!

Upvote 0
As a first gen Moto X user and a previous Nexus user, I can't stand the active display system. I'd much rather have a notification LED. This is of course all user opinion but the LED was so much more useful to me. I play with my phone while it's within arm's reach too much, the active display is practically always on. Even when it's just sitting on my desk or in my car, every bump in the road or on the table turns the active display on. Now if I set it down on my nightstand to charge and I'm across the room, a quick glance at it would tell me if there was a notification had there been a LED. But with the active display feature I now have to go over there and move the phone to check it? A waste of a feature if you ask me, especially since there is a charging LED built into it, but it can't be used for notifications. If it's already there, why couldn't they just have it be a setting to change between AD or the LED, or hell....use both at the same time!

I'll agree that it depends on the user; I personally prefer the Active Display to the LED. It does sound as if you might prefer the 2nd Gen Moto X, where you can just need to wave above the screen to have it display all notifications. And, for across the room, I second what Thom said, the voiceless control works great for that. Also, Assist can be set up to read caller ID or texts to you when you are at home (using the nightstand example).

Upvote 0

I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I love that capability compared to the LED. I could never remember what color meant which app was notifying me and I just got frustrated that the dang phone was forever blinking. Reminded me of my VCR telling me it was 12:00. A Nexus phone sounds like a better choice for you.

I will say I would like a way to deactivate the motion sensors for X time frame, like the Silent Time app's Quick Quiet feature does for audio. In my car, I have a ProClip holder for it mounted on the center console, about 8 inches away from the steering wheel. When I put the Moto X in the holder, it is constantly turning on the notifications because it senses my movement. Would be nice to be able to deactivate for X minutes. Anyone know if there is an app for that? I doubt it, it's a pretty specific need for a single phone.

Upvote 0
Tasker.

On the Droid Maxx when I put it in my pocket it would stay on ... it never reacted proximity sensor. I always had to remember to manually turn it off.

I have a trivial Tasker Profile that turns off the screen when something crosses the sensor unless I am on a phone call it on.

Tasker controlling your screen the way you want it one possible answer.

...Thom

Upvote 0
How is the camera compared to the Nexus camera? Did you have an N4 or N5? Thanks OP.
t

I had the N4, so any camera would be better. The Moto X is definitely better than the N4. t I don't take a ton of photos, so I'm not an expert on this subject. The reviews I've read say the camera isn't the best available of the top new phones, but it is good.

Reactions: dosei
Upvote 0
I recently upgraded my (and my wife's) Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones to Moto X (2014) on VZW and found the preloaded extra crap very annoying, especially the Visual Voice Mail that pops up every time I touch the voice mail notification. How do I kill/permanently stop this and other VZW apps so they not get re-activated after a reboot? In contrast the the NFL app and some others, the Disable button is disabled in VVM.

Upvote 0
I use Nova Launcher Prime on three different models. With it you can hide the pre-loaded apps you don't like in the app drawer or you can create drawer tab and move them all there. Then just never bother looking in that tab. That's the approach I use and find I go in that tab about twice a year.

Visual e-mail is a cost-plus option on my Turbo ... I tried the free evaluation and turned it off after three days. I believe you can go into the options on the app and turn the option off and it will revert to the standard voice mail.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones