• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto Z2 Play - how to disable Sim Card

denlen

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
I am traveling to Europe soon, and since the Z2 has dual sim capability will be buying a temporary sim card from Orange in France. Question: After I board the plane, I want to disable my North American Sim card to ensure I don't accidentally use it over there. Other than removing the sim card, is there any way to just disable it ( and ensure that I have the other sim working)? Thanks!

I'd just remove your current SIM since you're going to be adding that temporary Orange SIM anyway.
But if you do just want to leave it in, it's not likely to be used while you're in France unless your current carrier's cellular network is compatible with Orange's cellular network (a possibility but still conditional) and you actively switch your phone over back to your current carrier -- it's your SIM that authenticates you to use a cellular network, so in the unlikely event you did intentionally try to use your current carrier's SIM with Orange's cellular network, it's also a matter where your carrier has to have some kind of contractual agreement with Orange to use their cellular network without using their SIM card).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I'd just remove your current SIM since you're going to be adding that temporary Orange SIM anyway.
But if you do just want to leave it in, it's not likely to be used while you're in France unless your current carrier's cellular network is compatible with Orange's cellular network (a possibility but still conditional) and you actively switch your phone over back to your current carrier -- it's your SIM that authenticates you to use a cellular network, so in the unlikely event you did intentionally try to use your current carrier's SIM with Orange's cellular network, it's also a matter where your carrier has to have some kind of contractual agreement with Orange to use their cellular network without using their SIM card).

Thanks, but still would be great if I could do this in software.May go airplane mode during the flight and remove it at Orange.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones