• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Motorcycle Mount for EVO...

My Aquabox and Finger grips have arrived! I somewhat prefer the medium aquabox over the finger grip because it allows for a lock to be placed on it, and it is fully enclosed, almost guaranteeing that your phone will not slip out of it. And to top it off...it's waterproof :)

So here are the pics in my Dropbox gallery (I will post the images embedded in another post):

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/50461/2/GSX-R1000/phone-mount?h=480af3#/

It turned out quite well. I am very happy with it. We'll see how it lasts...only thing that's left to do now is make a short "dock enabling" cable that stays with the box. Currently, in order to take the EVO's charging cable out of the box, I have to unscrew it which requires special tools (to prevent theft of the box).

I highly suggest this setup!

Upvote 0
I have used the Ram-mount on my Yamaha VMAX for a couple of years for my IPod Touch. I love it. Cept I don't use it in the rain. I wanted something that didn't stick way up of my handlebars, or that big Aqua box, so I fabricated a braket and used the Ram-mount A Size 1/2" ball mount instead of their B Size 1" ball and the cradle for the IPod Touch.
I already contacted them about when they were going to come out with a cradle for the EVO.
And they told me they were not going to make one because their Universal works for it. F@*#ers!!!
The Cradle for the IPod is awesome even held on to my IPod when the bike fell over once.
I'll bet they're all IPhone users that run the company.
Guess it really doesn't matter. I can't get the EVO to play any of the Navigation through my Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Headset anyway. Or the voice command for the phone to work on it either. But that's because the Scala Rider uses old school bluetooth.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    795.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    871 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
I have used the Ram-mount on my Yamaha VMAX for a couple of years for my IPod Touch. I love it. Cept I don't use it in the rain. I wanted something that didn't stick way up of my handlebars, or that big Aqua box, so I fabricated a braket and used the Ram-mount A Size 1/2" ball mount instead of their B Size 1" ball and the cradle for the IPod Touch.
I already contacted them about when they were going to come out with a cradle for the EVO.
And they told me they were not going to make one because their Universal works for it. F@*#ers!!!
The Cradle for the IPod is awesome even held on to my IPod when the bike fell over once.
I'll bet they're all IPhone users that run the company.
Guess it really doesn't matter. I can't get the EVO to play any of the Navigation through my Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Headset anyway. Or the voice command for the phone to work on it either. But that's because the Scala Rider uses old school bluetooth.

A side note about the Cardo Scala Rider Q2: The Q2 doesn't support A2DP, so these features won't work. There's an app in the market that allows you to pipe all audio out to bluetooth, but I never tried it. The voice dial feature is now available in Android 2.2 FroYo on the Evo (the latest OTA update).

I recently ditched mine for the G4, and the improvement was unbelievable. My girlfriend and I both use the new G4s and they work amazingly. Using the Evo, we get bluetooth music (A2DP), navigation, phone calls, notifications, status updates, EVERYTHING. Needless to say that when my G4 is connected, my phone READS my text messages. I use Tasker and SayMyName Dessert to do this, and I have it automatically turn on Bluetooth when I dock it, and load Pandora when bluetooth is connected. Tasker is truly probably the best $6 I've ever spent in my life.

But yeah, the Scala Rider Q2 was horrible. All I was able to use it for was phone calls, intercom, and FM radio. It didn't have a boost for the MP3 jack (had to use an external "boosteroo"), which made listening to MP3 players nearly impossible. I bought my Q2 Multiset for $160, then turned around and spent another $240 on a G4 Powerset. The G4 units were brand new...I still don't know why the guy sold them to me so cheap :( I almost feel bad because the receipt in the box said that he paid $537 (after tax) for them back at the end of March 2010. But after all, to me, the G4 Powerset is really worth the $500 that they retail for, just saying...

We haven't really tried the intercom on the G4s yet, but they supposedly have a 1 mile radius. And they don't cut music when you cough!! It just beeps and continues to play music until it connects in intercom mode.

But yeah, Evo + Tasker + Motorcycle Dock + Cardo Scala Rider G4 = pure lust. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Upvote 0
A side note about the Cardo Scala Rider Q2: The Q2 doesn't support A2DP, so these features won't work. There's an app in the market that allows you to pipe all audio out to bluetooth, but I never tried it. The voice dial feature is now available in Android 2.2 FroYo on the Evo (the latest OTA update).

I recently ditched mine for the G4, and the improvement was unbelievable. My girlfriend and I both use the new G4s and they work amazingly. Using the Evo, we get bluetooth music (A2DP), navigation, phone calls, notifications, status updates, EVERYTHING. Needless to say that when my G4 is connected, my phone READS my text messages. I use Tasker and SayMyName Dessert to do this, and I have it automatically turn on Bluetooth when I dock it, and load Pandora when bluetooth is connected. Tasker is truly probably the best $6 I've ever spent in my life.

But yeah, the Scala Rider Q2 was horrible. All I was able to use it for was phone calls, intercom, and FM radio. It didn't have a boost for the MP3 jack (had to use an external "boosteroo"), which made listening to MP3 players nearly impossible. I bought my Q2 Multiset for $160, then turned around and spent another $240 on a G4 Powerset. The G4 units were brand new...I still don't know why the guy sold them to me so cheap :( I almost feel bad because the receipt in the box said that he paid $537 (after tax) for them back at the end of March 2010. But after all, to me, the G4 Powerset is really worth the $500 that they retail for, just saying...

We haven't really tried the intercom on the G4s yet, but they supposedly have a 1 mile radius. And they don't cut music when you cough!! It just beeps and continues to play music until it connects in intercom mode.

But yeah, Evo + Tasker + Motorcycle Dock + Cardo Scala Rider G4 = pure lust. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks for the info Dale.
This past Wednesday I decided to upgrade to the new G4. I saw that it had A2DP. So I pounced on one that was on sale on Amazon. I should have it Monday.
I'm glad to hear that it works great with the EVO. Makes me feel better about buying a new headset.
Now Alls I need to do is get a 32gig micro SD card, transfer all my music to my EVO, and I can leave my IPod Touch at home.

Upvote 0
I would really like to talk to you about your set up, I have a Zumo 550, Scala G4 headset and Evo 4G and can not get them to work.

Upvote 0
My Aquabox and Finger grips have arrived! I somewhat prefer the medium aquabox over the finger grip because it allows for a lock to be placed on it, and it is fully enclosed, almost guaranteeing that your phone will not slip out of it. And to top it off...it's waterproof :)

So here are the pics in my Dropbox gallery (I will post the images embedded in another post):

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/50461/2/GSX-R1000/phone-mount?h=480af3#/

It turned out quite well. I am very happy with it. We'll see how it lasts...only thing that's left to do now is make a short "dock enabling" cable that stays with the box. Currently, in order to take the EVO's charging cable out of the box, I have to unscrew it which requires special tools (to prevent theft of the box).

I highly suggest this setup!

How did you mount the aqua box? I plan to buy the same box, and use the gas tank mount but looking at the pictures of the box I cannot see how you mount it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I would really like to talk to you about your set up, I have a Zumo 550, Scala G4 headset and Evo 4G and can not get them to work.

I am having the same problem with my Cardo Scala Rider G4. I can take incoming calls on my HTC EVO but the google voice feature is completely useless for dialing out and the EVO won't accept voice commands for navigation at all. In my truck, using a Sprint supplied windshield mount in Car Mode, it works absolutely beautifully, dialing, navigating, sending email and texts and searching the web. I can't imagine a more usefull tool for auto travel but on my bike, the unit goes stupid and I can't get Cardo to even acknowledge it's their problem.

If you can believe this, Cardo's support person emailed me yesterday that I should take this up with HTC since compatibility with all the various devices out there wasn't their problem!

Also wonder how I can get my EVO to go into Car Mode with the waterproof handlebar mount I've been using, powered from a 12V outlet on the dash of my Buell Ulysses. Right now the display times out and the screen goes black requiring me to take my left hand off the grip and drag off the lock bar.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my Cardo Scala Rider G4. I can take incoming calls on my HTC EVO but the google voice feature is completely useless for dialing out and the EVO won't accept voice commands for navigation at all. In my truck, using a Sprint supplied windshield mount in Car Mode, it works absolutely beautifully, dialing, navigating, sending email and texts and searching the web. I can't imagine a more usefull tool for auto travel but on my bike, the unit goes stupid and I can't get Cardo to even acknowledge it's their problem.

I've experienced the same issues. I'm also using the Scala Rider G4 with my EVO, and voice prompts are all but worthless. I've got a Shoei Qwest, which is a pretty quiet helmet too. I think that the mics on the Cardo units simply aren't sensitive enough for the command to be understood. The units work great once you're talking, either over the phone or in intercom mode. I think the focus on reducing background noise resulted in the mics just not working well for voice commands.

Upvote 0
voice commands work when in quiet surroundings but add a little background noise of a noisy truck and nothing. I have noise canceling mic that used to work for voice commands but after the latest OS update that is not working either. if there is background noise, talking into the phone or headset doesn't work on mine. And if the data connection is too slow it tells me to speak louder? If the background noise is not too bad and I speak very slow with a good data connection, I might get it to pick up a word or two 1 out of 5 times but not enough to use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones