• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorla pay attention and follow HTC's lead!

Of all the bands of phones I have owned, which is most (outside of Apple) Motorola builds the strongest feeling phone. I would be willing to say IF Motorola ever decides to unlock the bootloaders I may never buy a different brand of phone. The two HTC phones I had looked used after 4 to 5 months, my 10 month old X still looks like it came out of the box last week.

Upvote 0
Didn't Moto say they would unlock bootloaders when/if the carriers sign on to the idea? I would imagine Verizon would not be too happy if HTC did this of their own accord.

It appears that you are right...

@andrewwalberg
@VZWSupport will @VerizonWireless allow @htc phones with the unlocked bootloader on there network?

@VZWSupport
@andrewwalberg No, a device with an unlocked bootloader cannot be activated on the Verizon Wireless network. *RB

Upvote 0
It appears that you are right...

@andrewwalberg
@VZWSupport will @VerizonWireless allow @htc phones with the unlocked bootloader on there network?

@VZWSupport
@andrewwalberg No, a device with an unlocked bootloader cannot be activated on the Verizon Wireless network. *RB

Um what? Incredible had unlocked Bootloader as I recall. So did the original Droid. I don't think the inc 2 or TBolt have locked Bootloaders.

Upvote 0
Twitter

@VZWSupport VZW Support
Correction>> You CAN activate your HTC device with an unlocked bootloader on our network, we apologize for the confusion.

also moto talked about bootloader unlocking months ago, this thread should be named htc paid attention and followed motorola's lead.

talked but never did anything. HTC said it and then did it. Motorola's was a public stunt. Said it from the beginning

Upvote 0
What in the world is a bootloader?? And why is it such a deal breaker for so many? I just don't understand this bootloader thing. I googled it and I still don't understand the benefit of having an "UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER":thinking:

andonakis,

A bootloader is the software that a computer (or whatever smart device is using a CPU) uses to initially load the remaining operating system software (Android, in our phone's case). The term is coined from the word "bootstrap" or "bootstrapping" (i.e., to pull oneself up by your own bootstraps (think cowboy boots with the straps on the side)). See Bootstrapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A locked bootloader prevents you from loading (booting) software that does not have the signature that said locked bootloader expects (i.e., Motorola, in this case, prevents only Moto-signed ROMs / software from being loaded and flashed).

Unlocking the bootloader, or allowing the bootloader to load things other than the "approved" / signed software, opens-up the possibilities of installing custom kernels, true custom recoveries, and ROMs that may (do!) provide many features and alternatives that the original software did / does not provide.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
While HTC has announced that they will unlock their bootloaders, it's unclear what "unlock" refers to. I suspect they will remove the encrypted signature (which is really what people were protesting, btw, whether they knew it or not). But NAND protection will still be on at the time of activation. It's up to the user to then find the means to unlock the bootloader. Business as usual.

I doubt HTC would have made this very public announcement about unlocking the bootloader if the carriers would never agree to it. Because the end user doesn't know/care who is enforcing the lock. If the end result is not an unlocked bootloader, HTC will take the hit. Which is why I think either the carriers don't care, or they don't have the leverage to prevent HTC's decision.

It's also likely that the decision to lock the bootloader never had anything to do with the carriers.

I'd love to see Motorola follow suit and announce a change in their bootloader policy. Sony, Samsung, and now HTC are moving toward lax bootloader security. So Moto is really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

If you're interested in learning more about what all the hoopla is about, take a look here for some basic definitions of locked, signed, and encrypted, as they relate to the bootloader. It was written for an HTC audience, but it's still very applicable to Moto.

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/342046-encrypted-bootloader-properly-defined.html

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

Yes, at least so far, it is ;).

HTC's announcement can only help put a little pressure on Motorola.

The link you provided that came out in late April certainly was a good start (a small olive branch, if you will), but as many have indicated above, Moto has certainly not yet gotten fully on-board.

Cross your fingers, though :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones