• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola and Verizon just slapped us!

sean76

Android Expert
May 5, 2010
NYC
Ok, I'm never one to dig on this, and make noise about phone releases being so close, and always being behind the curve when it comes to keeping up with Technology!

However, as Android fans, and Bionic owners we just got slapped by Moto and Vzw...

Why even release the Bionic, and then a month...A MONTH LATER, release a phone from the same phone manufacturer that beats out the previous one so bad when we talk about screens, and what not?

Yes the Razr comes with a Super Amoled qHD screen...seriously now? And the usual Dual core stuff, with probably a better camera that doesn't take a year to Auto Focus.

Yea I'm a little pissed! It is what it is! And I wouldn't even post if it was a new phone from HTC, Samsung (Prime) or LG! But coming from Moto, come on! Not cool moto, not cool VZW!

Reactions: RJSH_1727
-200 mhz faster
-Screen that is leaps and bounds ahead of the Bionic
-$50 off the Bionic price tag
-Better form factor
-Better front facing camera

Not only that, devs will flock to this phone...especially if the bootloader is unlocked. Bionic will become obsolete almost 2 months after release by a phone released from the same manufacturer.

Unacceptable Moto...if you were going to drop this so soon after the projected date of the Bionic, the bionic shouldn't have seen the light of day in the first place.

I guess this is what you get when a phone is delayed by 8 months...never buying a phone that has had such highly publicized delays again.

Upvote 0
-200 mhz faster
-Better form factor

Not only that, devs will flock to this phone...especially if the bootloader is unlocked. Bionic will become obsolete almost 2 months after release by a phone released from the same manufacturer.

Unacceptable Moto...if you were going to drop this so soon after the projected date of the Bionic, the bionic shouldn't have seen the light of day in the first place.

I guess this is what you get when a phone is delayed by 8 months...never buying a phone that has had such highly publicized delays again.

I 100% agree...

Reactions: Sturge[Droid]
Upvote 0
The bionic will not be obsolete in two months. Itll still be an option for potential buyers for many months to come. I just hope for a price drop from Verizon and other retailers. I do understand the frustration of some of the people who bought this phone at full retail price or at $299+.

Im gonna let fate decide if im gonna keep my bionic. If it gets good reviews and costco will allow me to exchange my bionic then i'll have a choice to make. If not, I'll be happy to keep this phone until my upgrade. No matter what the bionic is a great option.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
The bionic will not be obsolete in two months. Itll still be an option for potential buyers for many months to come. I just hope for a price drop from Verizon and other retailers. I do understand the frustration of some of the people who bought this phone at full retail price or at $299+.

Im gonna let fate decide if im gonna keep my bionic. If it gets good reviews and costco will allow me to exchange my bionic then i'll have a choice to make. If not, I'll be happy to keep this phone until my upgrade. No matter what the bionic is a great option.
The problem is that many bought the Bionic thinking they were getting a top of the line phone that would stay at the top of the line for the foreseeable future. 1 month and 10 days later, another phone that has better specs and better qualities has already been released. (Bionic looks like a brick compared to the RAZR)

If I bought this phone in July or before, I wouldn't be nearly as upset. If the RAZR had the same screen as the Bionic, I'd feel better. The problem is that it doesn't.

I would like to see how the sales people compare the Bionic to the RAZR...the RAZR is clearly the superior phone and I'd recommend it to anyone over the Bionic if they walked into a VZW store looking for a new phone.

Upvote 0
-200 mhz faster
-Better form factor

Screen - I'd say this is the only thing that is actually a big improvement.
200mhz - Doubt it is even noticeable.
$50 off - Aren't they both $300 from VZW? Probably cheaper elsewhere, but so was the Bionic.
Better form factor - debatable
Better front camera - Sure, but how much does it get used?

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
How is the Bionic not obsolete? Who in their right mind is going to walk into a Verizon store and buy a Bionic over the Razr? The Bionic is going straight to the bargain bin as soon as the Razr hits.

I would be really pissed had I bought the Bionic and not had my Charge swapped for it. I am just happy to have an upgrade available so I can get the Galaxy Nexus and be done with Motorola all together.

Upvote 0
I put a lot of money into this phone, though, and I don't want to replace it unless i really have a damned good reason to....

Totally agree. If the people are locked to their contract and over their return period, it's really not economic to sell the bionic and try to pay full retail price for the Razr.

Potentially, people will be paying an extra $100-150 to get the Razr. IMO, the specs are not worth the extra money. Now, if you have an upgrade and plan to sell the Bionic then maybe you can break even but then you'll lose an upgrade. IMO, upgrades are more valuable nowadays then it was before. So, is it really worth it especially with the way technology is spitting out new phones.

Upvote 0
I think people are really underrating the Bionic's screen here, and the Bionic in general. I think SuperAMOLED screens may be the most overrated phone feature that's out right now. You can barely see them in sunlight, the colors are so strong they look fake, and it drains the battery quicker then the Pentiles. I for one HATED the Bionics screen when I got it. But I've REALLY come around on it. I love not having to turn up the brightness when I'm driving or outside. I love that the screen isn't chewing battery life. And you really can't notice the pixels when your watching videos or looking at pictures.

The only real gripe I have with the Bionic is the camera.

Upvote 0
i don't blame you guys...i'd be a little ticked too.

however i saw the Bionic as a "stay away from this phone" issue. Any phone with delays and rebuilds like it had is bound to be trumped soon. The only reason Moto released it was because they were probably obligated to. They got it far enough along to satisfy VZW and said phhhewwww ok not that we have that out of the way lets turn our attention back to something better...aka the Razr

i seriously could see the bionic turning into the black sheep just like the DX2 has been in imo.

Upvote 0
The Bionics screen is terrible. The Samoled+ screens are very viewable in sunlight. Sure it might be a little over saturated but its better then having the Bionic that cant even produce some colors.

It's a matter of opinion really. I've used SAMOLED screens in the sunlight, and quite frankly they blow compared to the Bionic. I think the pentile screen is the PERFECT screen for a phone. It's the best on power and the best on brightness. So what you see a few pixels once in awhile. Do you really need perfect color to update your facebook status? If you're really THAT upset that the screen is that bad on the Bionic, perhaps you should look into getting a tablet. I'll take better battery life and better outdoor visibility over the SAMOLED any day of the week.

People knew the screen they were getting when they bought the Bionic though.

Upvote 0
The problem is that many bought the Bionic thinking they were getting a top of the line phone that would stay at the top of the line for the foreseeable future. 1 month and 10 days later, another phone that has better specs and better qualities has already been released. (Bionic looks like a brick compared to the RAZR)

Announced is not released. It'll be two months by the time that you can get it.

It also has a sealed battery, so no battery pulls on this phone - my last phone's battery needed to be replaced after 16 months, as it lasted only about two thirds as long as it did even weeks before (it was a pretty sudden decline.)

The Razr is quite a bit thinner, but also longer and wider. I think that the Bionic is too big, so no way am I interested in the Razr (though the thinness may help, the Bionic is by no means a thick phone.)

The specs aren't *that much* better. AMOLED sure is a beautiful display, until you take it outside (we'll have to see with the Razr whether that remains the case.)

The Bionic is still a top-of-the-line phone. The Razr will be better for most people who are interested in such a large phone, but there may be some who prefer the Bionic, in part for the reasons that I list above.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's a matter of opinion really. I've used SAMOLED screens in the sunlight, and quite frankly they blow compared to the Bionic. I think the pentile screen is the PERFECT screen for a phone. It's the best on power and the best on brightness. So what you see a few pixels once in awhile. Do you really need perfect color to update your facebook status? If you're really THAT upset that the screen is that bad on the Bionic, perhaps you should look into getting a tablet. I'll take better battery life and better outdoor visibility over the SAMOLED any day of the week.

People knew the screen they were getting when they bought the Bionic though.

Its not that the color is not perfect, its that it just looks terrible. Some colors look more pixelated then others. For example, the neon theme for Swiftkey x looks horrible. Not only that but if you have used Swiftkey on the Bionic you probably noticed that if you type too fast the touchscreen will delete your words thinking you swiped back to delete it. The Atrix does this too so its not just a Bionic problem but it sucks because I can't even use my keyboard of choice.

I am not saying the Bionic is a bad phone. The more I use it the more I like it but it could have been a whole lot better. The screen sucks, the camera is even worse, and with the multitouch bugs I can't get rid of it soon enough.

Upvote 0
Announced is not released. It'll be two months by the time that you can get it.

It also has a sealed battery, so no battery pulls on this phone - my last phone's battery needed to be replaced after 16 months, as it lasted only about two thirds as long as it did even weeks before (it was a pretty sudden decline.)

The Razr is quite a bit thinner, but also longer and wider. I think that the Bionic is too big, so no way am I interested in the Razr (though the thinness may help, the Bionic is by no means a thick phone.)

The specs aren't *that much* better. AMOLED sure is a beautiful display, until you take it outside (we'll have to see with the Razr whether that remains the case.)

The Bionic is still a top-of-the-line phone. The Razr will be better for most people who are interested in such a large phone, but there may be some who prefer the Bionic, in part for the reasons that I list above.

Sealed battery? Really? I've vowed to NEVER buy a phone with a sealed battery.

I think people are getting their pants in a bunch for no reason really. They're mainly upset that they won't have the newest phone.

I agree that the Bionic is big enough. In fact, I sometimes wish it was smaller. But it's not all that heavy, so that helps.

Upvote 0
Its not that the color is not perfect, its that it just looks terrible. Some colors look more pixelated then others. For example, the neon theme for Swiftkey x looks horrible. Not only that but if you have used Swiftkey on the Bionic you probably noticed that if you type too fast the touchscreen will delete your words thinking you swiped back to delete it. The Atrix does this too so its not just a Bionic problem but it sucks because I can't even use my keyboard of choice.

I am not saying the Bionic is a bad phone. The more I use it the more I like it but it could have been a whole lot better. The screen sucks, the camera is even worse, and with the multitouch bugs I can't get rid of it soon enough.

Perhaps you have a bad phone? I have no problem with my multitouch. Maybe the problem is with Swiftkey. Personally, with Swype and the stock keyboard, I see no reason for anything else. And I have yet to find a picture that really looks bad on this screen. I still think it's the PERFECT screen for a phone. Combines form with function perfectly.

Upvote 0
The problem is that many bought the Bionic thinking they were getting a top of the line phone that would stay at the top of the line for the foreseeable future.

I kinda disagree with this statement. People knew they were getting a great phone but also knew that the Prime and the Vigor were at the doors. I know the Razr was not one of the phones that we were expecting to come out but still there were better phones with better specs in the horizon. Maybe some didn't believe that the new phones were coming out in a month but I don't agree that many did not see this coming.

Reactions: milrtime83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones