1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Motorola and Verizon just slapped us!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sean76, Oct 18, 2011.

1. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    If the RAZR were quad-core I might feel a little bad.

Then I'd remember the sealed battery and go back to snogging my Bionic.

I have yet to find any major issues with my Bionic. We're still in love.

Advertisement

jroc, Vehtemas and LrdAnkh like this.
  2. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    No, two entirely different things.

A PC can take advantage of super high resolution desktops like 1080p due to the amount of clutter on the screen...

If you have a TV with 720p and 1080p at 30 inches, the screen is still stretched the same...

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/
    I watch a lot of youtube on my Bionic, and I watched a lot on my friends iPhone, and a lot on my OG Droid. To be honest they all looked the same with a slight sharpness difference from the OG Droid.

johnlgalt likes this.
  3. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    The Razr has one real world advantage over the Bionic and that is the OLED screen. You will get nicer colors in exchange for poorer outdoor visibility.

I just want to point out that there's not an unreasonable chance that the Razr will be Pentile. To understand why this is, one must understand the limitations of Samsung's OLED screens so far. Super Amoled + is the first and only kind of AMOLED screen that doesn't use Pentile technology. The only way that Samsung can currently make OLED screens without Pentile is by having the pixels be no smaller than a certain size. Samsung is achieving this by implementing Super AMOLED+ in resolutions no higher than 800x480 and in screens no smaller than 4.3 inches(This is exactly why the Samsung Galaxy S2 uses 800x480 screens and not qHD). They would be forced to make the screen pentile if they made the screen smaller or the resolution higher. Assuming no technological breakthrough has been made, the Razr will have a Pentile screen. There is a reason they are calling it Super AMOLED(all Super AMOLEDs are Pentile) and not Super AMOLED +(The + means it isn't pentile).

200Mhz extra in the processor is a nice check box feature but it won't make a noticeable difference. The Droid Bionic's rear camera is great, the camera app is poor(The Razr will probably have the same app). Use a better app and you will get much faster and much nicer photos.

Then there's the battery. The Razr is going to have the same kind of battery life the stock Bionic has. Anyone who understands the specs will know this to be true even without Motorola coming out and saying it deliberately(it isn't in their best interest marketing wise to say this). This means 5~ hours of 3G web browsing and 3~ hours of LTE browsing. The Razr will not have the option for swapping in spare batteries or installing a larger battery.

In summary, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. That mentality distorts people's view of reality so much. The Razr looks really nice but it is nothing more than a marginal improvement over the Bionic with a gigantic marketing campaign behind it.

jroc likes this.
  4. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Personal Account Manager
    Largo, FL

1. Yet again, I must remind you. The phone has been announced 30 days after the launch of the Bionic. Not released.

2. I was not specifically calling you out for being the one who "messed up" but more as a whole to all the people who currently don't like their Bionic. You are given a 14 day window to decide if you like the phone (and if you complain enough at costco you can stretch that to 90 days!) So I am simply saying that, since the Razr honestly does not look to be as amazing as you seem to think it is, my only conclusion is that you are not happy with your Bionic. Because if you are happy with it, then why do you care about this slight upgrade that doesn't even have a release date or review yet? Just wait till it gets rated as worse battery life than the Bionic. Do we even know the MaH on the battery yet?

3. You must not understand how a company works if you think they are going to sell a phone that is easily worth $300 for less just because they know they will be releasing a new one soon. Did the ipad drop in price right before the ipad 2 came out? Even if they launched the Razr 6 months from now, someone could potentially buy the Bionic in month 5. Welcome to the world of technology. The only way to win is to enjoy what you have or take it back. If you didnt' like your Bionic, but kept it anyway, then you messed up.

5. bxtzd3

bxtzd3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    [

Then there's the battery. The Razr is going to have the same kind of battery life the stock Bionic has. Anyone who understands the specs will know this to be true even without Motorola coming out and saying it deliberately(it isn't in their best interest marketing wise to say this). This means 5~ hours of 3G web browsing and 3~ hours of LTE browsing. The Razr will not have the option for swapping in spare batteries or installing a larger battery.

i get consistently 14 hours of bat life. 3g, web, games in a big building. full processor speed auto screen 15min email pulls and weather.

6. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    I'm not talking about general on/off periodic use, I'm talking about scientific measurements. The Bionic gets about 5 hours of battery life if it is web browsing on 3G nonstop for that entire duration.

7. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Personal Account Manager
    Largo, FL

Battery life is a very subjective matter. That being said, it is a general consensus around here that the Bionic has better battery life than most 4G Phones, but it's battery life is still pretty crappy. To the point, that the majority of users here either hot swap the battery they got free from the costco bundle to keep the phone useable, or have the extended battery. Neither of these will be an option on the Razr, so barring some massive jump in the technology of Li-ion batteries and/or 4G radios, the Razr will have the same, or presumeably worse battery life, with no way to fix it.

jroc likes this.
  8. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Dierector of Sys. & Operations (IT)
    West Orange, NJ
    Ditto here, too much is being said and talked about a "PHONE".

9. dlcpa

dlcpa Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    CPA-Forensic Accountant
    So. East FL & Long Island
    Totally agree with you. I have a BlackBerry Storm2 with three batteries and now that it's almost 2 years old, I use 2 a day and I love the security of not having to look for a place to charge. I'd never buy the Razr in these 4G LTE days, never.

All of you knew that new stuff was coming. My problem is double yours because I ultimately want a Windows Phone because of the ease of sync and moving of files. WP7.5 is supposed to be pretty good and MS has big reasons to push this. Then, the IPhone 5 will be coming in January so with all this new stuff happening waiting a little gives you more info and probably better prices.

The Bionic sounds like a super phone. The screen is beautiful and there is an O/S update coming, which is one thing I decided to wait for if I went with the Bionic. The Samsung Nexus looks terrific but I have a feeling it's battery is fixed too, like the Razr.

Sometimes waiting when everything is exploding out of the box is a good thing. You can wait forever but since August there were lots of indications that super products were coming out soon and if I knew this, most of you probably did too.

10. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    The Galaxy Nexus does have a removable battery.

11. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    From what I've read the reason they chose the super amoled screen is because it consumes LESS power which they felt would be needed with the speedy processor and 4G.

As far as being upset with Verizon and Motorola, that is no one's fault but the buyer. I wanted the Bionic until I started seeing rumors about the Razr, at that point the Bionic meant nothing to me and never gave it a another though.
    You chose to buy it knowing something else was coming right away, no one to blame but yourself.

12. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Sealed battery=no for me. Root, rom, put yourself into a bootloop and you are screwed. No battery pull to save you.

13. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Was thinking about that myself. But for many of the reasons you'll cite later, I doubt it. I think I can wait a lil while longer for some truly great innovations to come.

90 days to return the phone for the SAME phone in case of a manufacturer's defect. This link (which should go to the direct answer) will explain further. :)

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ussion-thread-including-q-yankeedudel-13.html

tjreishus get's a smiley face. YOU get a facepalm! lmao Oh, btw, can you get us a facepalm emotion?

Can't say for sure we'll get the Prime. Probably, most likely, but not definitely.

In fairness, the Bionic price will drop by the time the RAZR comes out. That'll make it a viable option for someone who wants a really good phone but doesn't want to pay for the RAZR. That, plus what Blue Ice says below

This.

LMAO!

14. YankeeDudeL

None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I forgot to give my opinion on the matter. lol

I think the Droid RAZR looks like a super sexy device. Love how the blended the Photon and Bionic together. And the Kevlar back, with carbon fiber look? And slim! Mmhmm...this thing got it going on. But just like that hot chick across the bar, she's got some personal issues.

My Bionic is getting great battery life, and when I couple that with the extra battery I got from Costco, I'm golden. The RAZR will have worse battery life because of it's screen, and it's not removable. This one thing alone will keep me away.

I'm not as miffed as others here, but I see the gripe. Regardless, the Bionic was a great buy for me, especially with all those accessories.

15. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    I love my Bionic, and you have said the exact reason I will never get a Razr...

The combined 4G and no-extended battery kills the deal for me. That and I cannot see it very well in the sun... I like to play frisbee golf, and pentile is amazing for that.

16. YankeeDudeL

None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I've found that the Bionic, while having great hang time, doesn't curve well. I recommend iPhones for that. :p

bigbabys and Vehtemas like this.
  17. vr6dubbin

vr6dubbin Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Honestly I don't like the shape of the RAZR. Maybe it's those edges... I love the top bulge on the bionic and I love how it feels in my hand! If only I didn't have that "tin-can" ear speaker issue... then i'd be 100% satisfied. But 99.9% satisfied is still okay w/ me!

18. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    If I was a bionic owner I would be pissed on how they are promoting ice cream sandwhich for the RAZR stating "coming early 2012", even though the Bionic came out first. Its like they already forgotten about their other device. Motor is definitely taking lessons from samsungs Playbook. Put out as much as phones as possible and forget about them!

19. NY_IS300

NY_IS300 Newbie
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    East Hampton
    ^
    X2, Moto and Verizon have to fuel up jets, lavish toys, high end hookers lol. Where do they get the money to pay for these .... US lol

After the razr is out and about, another appears.

20. Jeffery

Jeffery Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Marco Island, Florida
    +1

21. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    I am 99.9% sure it will come out for the Bionic.

22. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Im returning mine to Costco for the Galaxy Nexus, but you do loose the upgrade that you used.

23. longball10

longball10 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Bought the Bionic, knew there phones were coming, selling the Bionic, saving a couple hundred, buying Prime.. /thread..

jroc likes this.
  24. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Motorola did not forget about the d2, d2g, droid pro, dx, so they are nothing like samsung.

It shouldnt surprise phone owners that moto was working on several devices at the same time. Its just unfortunate that the delays to the bionic made the release of the razr too close together.

johnlgalt and jroc like this.
  25. Deanie

Deanie Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Middletown, Maryland
    Question about sealed batteries...both my OG and my new Bionic freeze up sometimes. So if you can't pull the battery, how do you fix/reset it?

I for one love my Bionic. I'm not that picky about the things some posters are concerned about. The device works fine for me, has a perfect size screen, and the device is just the right size. It's very snappy, and is a huge improvement over my OG.

The only reason I'd be upset about the Bionic being superseded already, is the lack of accessories. Already there really is not a very good selection of stuff, and probably won't be if the RAZR will be flagship, and "all that"