• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Android Software Upgrade News

I don't see a problem? My phone works fine? Now when that update comes out everyone will whine about the next update... its futile to think the software developers will ever be ahead...:thinking:

I think the big beef is that the phone was advertised as being "ready" to run flash in the browser, but when that feature is added to Android with 2.2, Motorola suddenly have second thoughts about implementing it.

Yes, we know they need to stop taking the OS updates at some points, but to do so after 6-7 months of selling it, and without actually delivering what was sold, is really a bit naughty whichever way you look at it.

Upvote 0
I think the big beef is that the phone was advertised as being "ready" to run flash in the browser, but when that feature is added to Android with 2.2, Motorola suddenly have second thoughts about implementing it.

Yes, we know they need to stop taking the OS updates at some points, but to do so after 6-7 months of selling it, and without actually delivering what was sold, is really a bit naughty whichever way you look at it.

Stop with the Flash already, it is not the most important thing in this world!

Besides, when Flash comes to the Milestone and you notice how laggy it is with it you will start whining about that.

BTW., Milestone has been out for 9 months.

Upvote 0
Stop with the Flash already, it is not the most important thing in this world!

I am pointing out why people (in general) are irritated by the lack of a 2.2 commitment.

Besides, when Flash comes to the Milestone and you notice how laggy it is with it you will start whining about that.

I'm sure it will be. I couldn't give two hoots about flash, but the big speed improvements, and smaller improvements in things like battery life would be very welcome. This is especially troubling since the Droid, which is extremely similar in firmware terms, is getting 2.2.

The fact that the Milestone was advertised as Flash ready remains though.

IMO Motorola have bitten off more than they can chew with global phone support. The Droid is easy for them as there is only one operator and one localisation (which is conveniently the default one Google supply).

My next phone is likely to be from a non-US based company as they seem to have a better grasp of the world outside the US.

BTW., Milestone has been out for 9 months.

Oh wow, that makes a huge difference then! After 9 months phone makers should just cast their customers loose! Never mind that the UK still hasn't even got the patch for 2.1 that fixes the alarm and random audio player bugs.

Upvote 0
flash101.jpgIts Not Motorola fault about the flash as when milestone came out it was flash ready as adobe said flash required 2.0 and above not just 2.2

Upvote 0
View attachment 9218Its Not Motorola fault about the flash as when milestone came out it was flash ready as adobe said flash required 2.0 and above not just 2.2

Unfortunately for Motorola they made the claim in their advertising. And now 2.2 has given them the option to deliver on it.

Pretty sure that in the UK they will be guilty of false advertising if they don't deliver (your experience in other countries may vary). Flash doesn't bother me too much, but being left running an 'old' version of Android when the hardware is less than 12 months old and clearly capable of running the latest version bugs me. When companies bug me, I stop giving them money.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately for Motorola they made the claim in their advertising. And now 2.2 has given them the option to deliver on it.

Pretty sure that in the UK they will be guilty of false advertising if they don't deliver (your experience in other countries may vary). Flash doesn't bother me too much, but being left running an 'old' version of Android when the hardware is less than 12 months old and clearly capable of running the latest version bugs me. When companies bug me, I stop giving them money.

You keep whining and wasting your time and I will keep waiting patiently for whatever happens.

Upvote 0
You keep whining and wasting your time and I will keep waiting patiently for whatever happens.

Where am I whining? I merely replied to an earlier poster who was happy to stay on 2.1 telling him why some people were very agitated about the lack of commitment to 2.2 on the Milestone, then you butted in and started getting irritated that I mentioned Flash...? :thinking:

And the only person wasting my time appears to be you :p

Upvote 0
Where am I whining? I merely replied to an earlier poster who was happy to stay on 2.1 telling him why some people were very agitated about the lack of commitment to 2.2 on the Milestone, then you butted in and started getting irritated that I mentioned Flash...? :thinking:

And the only person wasting my time appears to be you :p

I bought the Milestone as at the start of this year it was (for me) clearly the Android handset to beat, and looked like it had a decent future - meaning 1 to 2 years. I understand that minimum requirements for Gingerbread may mean it never happens on Milestone / Droid, but there's no reason why since Droid has Froyo that European Milestone users can't, and why should we wait so much longer (or not at all?!!?).

For the record btw, Flash is just a bonus ... I want the speed improvements from the 'Just in time' compilation and the inbuilt tethering!

Reactions: celios
Upvote 0
I bought the Milestone as at the start of this year it was (for me) clearly the Android handset to beat, and looked like it had a decent future - meaning 1 to 2 years. I understand that minimum requirements for Gingerbread may mean it never happens on Milestone / Droid, but there's no reason why since Droid has Froyo that European Milestone users can't, and why should we wait so much longer (or not at all?!!?).

For the record btw, Flash is just a bonus ... I want the speed improvements from the 'Just in time' compilation and the inbuilt tethering!

+1

Upvote 0
Who cares about speed so much as using the phone for a phone. All the Milestones purchased in Colorado (almost) are almost useless as a phone. Calls are terrible. The echo, digital sound, voice fading in and out, and dropped calls are just a few issues we are trying to deal with. I love the phone, but until they come out with a fix, it's just a PDA.

Upvote 0
Who cares about speed so much as using the phone for a phone. All the Milestones purchased in Colorado (almost) are almost useless as a phone. Calls are terrible. The echo, digital sound, voice fading in and out, and dropped calls are just a few issues we are trying to deal with. I love the phone, but until they come out with a fix, it's just a PDA.

So Colorado got a bad series of Milestones? I did not even know Milestones aresold in the US because Droid is more suitable for that market.

Upvote 0
lol wow my phone has not dropped one call, never had an issue with signal, never had a problem with echo or people not hearing me correctly... they have all said wow it sounds crystal clear... I guess its the luck of the draw sounds like Colorado is not the place to buy a Milestone thanks for the information.

EDIT

If it's not one thing is another... people love to complain regardless... So what your saying is if the phone was out for a year and they offered the update it would be better? I tend to disagree as things come out all the time (Windows Vista) and they are buggy right off the start... so if they delayed the release to do more testing of the phone you would complain it didn't come out fast enough lol futile i say... people like you could win the lottery and not be happy because it just wasn't enough money...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones