• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Atrix Battery Life

I will have to try this. I downloaded a few apps but nothing that I think would cause these problems. I bought the phone last night and used it for a while then left it alone on the charger until it was fully charged. I unplugged it before I went to bed and set an alarm. The screen was off all night and then when I woke up this morning to the alarm, the phone was DEAD :( I am pretty confused by this.

I had this problem last night, almost made me late for work. I was using nighttime battery saver mode too.

Upvote 0
I will have to try this. I downloaded a few apps but nothing that I think would cause these problems. I bought the phone last night and used it for a while then left it alone on the charger until it was fully charged. I unplugged it before I went to bed and set an alarm. The screen was off all night and then when I woke up this morning to the alarm, the phone was DEAD :( I am pretty confused by this.
Ah damn. Something is definitely draining your battery. Idle time on the phone at night should drain the battery no more than 15%. Only thing I can think of is something was running in the background all night or you have your apps to constantly synching? You might want to do the dial in *#*#4636#*#*. The info in there is very detailed and helpful if you have time to look through everything. I believe there's an option to check battery usage since last restarted since usage. Battery usage since last unplug is useless if your phone dies. If you want to do a test, after you charge your battery 100% at night, restart your phone and see what happen when you wake up. I think this is a great way to find what apps have been running since there's no human variable that is affecting the battery usage.

Upvote 0
Please uninstall ATK. You do not need it. Here's a good post with all the links to why task killers aren't needed (unless you have a rouge app): http://androidforums.com/android-applications/214451-task-killer-do-i-need-one.html#post1852258

Really strange about your battery life :( since all of the reviews raved on this.

These are just trouble shooting steps for when you have battery issues:
1) What apps have you downloaded so far, it might be that you have a 'rouge' app. Look at manage application and show which apps are constantly 'running'. Dial #*#*4636*#*# to get more detailed on your battery life and to see what app is active and for how long. Narrow the 'bad app down' and uninstall them. Test to see if your battery's life has improved.
2) If you are unable to detect what app is at fault, do a factory reset and use the phone with no apps install for a day to see how the battery is. If you have good battery by the end of the day with 'normal' use, then it was a rouge app you downloaded. Uninstall each of your apps one at a time and test each one to see what app is giving you the bad battery life. If your battery life is still bad
3) Take the phone back to the AT&T store and get a replacement battery. If even with the replacement battery, the phone battery's life is still bad then it might be a stock app.
4) Take the phone back to AT&T and get a replacement phone.

Hope this helps and that you get this battery issue fix :)

-Roze-

Thanks for the help, have done all on your list but I think I am going to
swap for a new atrix. Hopefully this one will work

Upvote 0
I am also having problems with the battery. It seems like it discharges VERY fast. If I keep it plugged in while using it, it doesn't seem to charge very fast at all. Yesterday, I was playing some games on it... but had it plugged in... and it didn't really charge at all.

Not real happy about the battery life.

Even this morning. I had a full charge at 8am... looked at two emails, sent a text, downloaded one app. 90% already in under 45 min.

Is it possible it is a problem with poor reception and it is going from edge --> 3G --> H+ ?

Upvote 0

Is it possible it is a problem with poor reception and it is going from edge --> 3G --> H+ ?

Most definately, as more power is used by the radios to maintain connection.

My fully charged Droid drained at my mom's house in 4 hours, an area where it struggled to maintain "1 bar", where it would typically last 24+ hours of "my normal use".

Upvote 0
Battery life on android phones just suck. Its that plain and simple. Of course the fan boys will come in here and talk about how they get great battery life and charged all day and browsed and played videos and still have 40% power after 8 hours. The reality is thats just not the case. You can turn the phone off and cut it back on when you need to use it, if you want great battery life. I've accepted how terrible battery life is on these phones so to me it doesnt even matter any more. I know that i will be at 100% when i leave out the house. By noon, i better start charging or just let it die by 3.

Upvote 0
Hope this is the case. Ive owned nothing but Iphones since they came out, soo, never had a phone w/ a removable battery or anything like that.

If the phone can't make it through a "day" (YMMV) after completely draining/charging 5-6 times, I'd look at getting a replacement, or "backup" battery. It could always be a case of a weak battery. In either case, I keep a spare in a small zipper pouch, on my key-chain, that used to house an old USB drive.

Upvote 0
I got mine last night at 5, ran the "out of the box" charge down setting up my contacts and reinstalling ALL my apps, (appbrain rules BTW) then charged all night, I am on 70% battery and have been since about noon. (it's just after 3pm here now) LOVE it, my defy would be at 40% or below by this time of day so I think the larger battery and longer life are indeed the case with this phone.

Upvote 0

Happened exactly to my Atrix last night. Was fully charged before going to sleep. When I waked up only 10% battery left.

Did a day of research and experiment today and found out the root cause. Yours may differ.

What have kept my Atrix busy, non-sleeping, hot, and battery hungry are several "mkv" movie files I copied to phone storage last night. My theory is: Atrix's (or Android's) media process doesn't know how to decode "mkv" movies. But it keeps (or is asked by other app to keep) trying and trying and trying. After I removed these movie files, my Atrix finally sleeps properly and battery drain problem solved. Not sure it's Moto to blame or Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones