• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Bionic Car/Nav dock questions

smfoley1

Android Enthusiast
May 4, 2010
Got the dock for xmas. Had a few questions

1) the dock has 3 spots to add apps on the personalize page. Also if you hold down on the Slacker app on that page you can change that to another app. My question is why are all the apps not available in the list? I wanted to add my GPS toggle to the dock. The list shows my bluetooth toggle available but no others toggles.

2) is there a way to remove one of the other apps that came installed with the dock. I would like to remove the stock music app and replace it with my Music Beta app instead

3) the car mode will not rotate to portrait mode when you turn the phone from landscape to portrait. anyone else have this problem? any fixes?

4) anyone know of an app that will automatically toggle GPS on when the phone is inserted into the dock and toggle it off when its removed from the dock? This would be a very cool function to have

1) Those others might be widget only, and thus will not add to the dock, b/c it adds shortcuts, not widgets.

2) Not sure, I think that some of those are hard coded.

3) Same.

4) Apps like Settings Profiles, Locale, Timerriffic and Tasker can be made to do that - basically you set up a profile that runs only when the phone is inserted into the car dock.

Upvote 0
I can tell you the basics of how to do it in Locale - but that is a $10 app. Timerriffic and Tasker are cheaper, and Settings Profile is too, - the most powerful (but with a steep learning curve) is Tasker, but most user friendly (from reading reviews) seems to be Settings Profiles, but I have only used Locale - I keep meaning to getting around to learning Tasker, but...

Tasker offers a 7 day trial from the Tasker website, and has lots of FAQs and examples though, so you could try that one or the other two.

Upvote 0
found an app in the market called Car Dock Home v3
it is fully customizable. You can add any apps you want to up to 7 screens.
Plus there is a setting that automatically turns on the GPS when inserted into the dock and turns it off when removed from the dock...very nice feature.

Upvote 0
The Car Dock Home app I got from the market has settings to take care of all that stuff. I have mine set to automatically turn on GPS, turn off WiFi, turn on speakerphone and turn off bluetooth. I dropped a bluetooth widget on the dock home screen in case I want to use BT. When you undock it, it automatically turns off GPS and speakerphone..very nice app. I also have my Music Beta widget on the screen as well...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones