• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola blur?

glshub

Jun 3, 2011
First, battery life is a joke on these. Phones.
I have a dumb question. I have downloaded task killer. I dont understand what all the Motorola blur stuff is. All I want is to be able to txt, phone, and use my browser usually on wifi.
How much of all that blur crap can I kill?
My phone is a milestone x, if that matters. I have a gg 3500 extended battery thats 4 or so months old and it isnt holding a charge like it did (I have less apps than a I used to and that isn't it. It is just bitingthe dust. Same use if not less) All I want is to be able to have a long days charge. You would think that wouldnt be too much to ask. I dont use the browser much but would like to for a short time every now and then... if not ok.

Im inbad health and need to be able to depend on my phone for a days time. They cant tell me they cant make a battery that will last a day for this amt of time. I may go back to an LG Force or something I can depend on. My wife lugged this POS in. I could do almost everything with the force this one does, had better reception and not bad internet.the battery would last for a couple to a few days.

Anyway how much blur can I kill and do what I said?

ThankYou!

Even using a different launcher won't stop Blur, Blur is integrated into Android by Motorola and can't be stopped or deleted. But if all you are doing is using you phone for calls, texting and occasional WiFi browsing, you shouldn't have a problem with battery life. I do a lot more than that on my Droid X, and I can easily make it 14 hours before I pop it on the charger before going to bed. One thing that might be hurting your battery life is actually the task killer, because it is going to be constantly running, and a lot of the apps it kills will just restart to be killed again. If you are running Android 2.1 or higher, then a task killer isn't needed, Android does a good job of managing itself. And running apps are really just sitting idle in memory, but not actually using CPU or battery. I tried Advanced Task Killer, and it did nothing but shorten my battery life.

Upvote 0
Even using a different launcher won't stop Blur, Blur is integrated into Android by Motorola and can't be stopped or deleted. But if all you are doing is using you phone for calls, texting and occasional WiFi browsing, you shouldn't have a problem with battery life. I do a lot more than that on my Droid X, and I can easily make it 14 hours before I pop it on the charger before going to bed. One thing that might be hurting your battery life is actually the task killer, because it is going to be constantly running, and a lot of the apps it kills will just restart to be killed again. If you are running Android 2.1 or higher, then a task killer isn't needed, Android does a good job of managing itself. And running apps are really just sitting idle in memory, but not actually using CPU or battery. I tried Advanced Task Killer, and it did nothing but shorten my battery life.

Thanks for the reply..

One thing I would guess is hurting my battery life is the fact my phone always has a low signal. I live in a rural area and that probably has something to do with it

I would be very very happy with 14 hrs. I certainly dont get that.

I would go to airplane mode but need the phone andtxt. Like now I have one bar. Seldom ever get 3g. Dropcall continuously. I never am in a strong service area so don

Upvote 0
I would say if there are things that you did not start or set up to start automatically then Motorola intended them to be there and you are probably stuck with them.
I would still try an launcher and check the background processes see if they are the same.

Not sure what you mean the same. I downloaded it then uninstalled it...

I had 5-6 things I could stop running. Didnt say a thing about what Im talking about...ie. amazon mp3, youtube, few other things. I only half a dozen apps downloaded

Upvote 0
Weak signal will definitely hurt battery life. I was recently out at my grandparents old place helping to get it ready for sale, and it's out in a weak signal area, and my battery life definitely suffered. Like I took it off the car charger at about 3 pm and at 100%, and by 11 pm, I was at 30%, and I was too busy to actually even really use the phone, it was just in my pocket. But the weak signal keeps that radio working overtime, and really hurts battery life.

Upvote 0
I'd just keep a charger close by.
You can root the phone, buy Titanium back up and freeze the "bloatware" that comes on the phone from Verizon. Pretty easy to do. Would help a little. But the main battery drain is the poor signal. That KILLS the battery.
You might be able to load Tasker and have it turn the 3G on and off at set times(maybe every 15-30 minutes or so). I think it can do that. That way it will be on just long enough to receive texts and check for missed calls. You can always just call people back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones