1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Motorola direct - no contract - what's the catch?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MtnbikerChk, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    I have unlimited data and a Bionic that desperately needs to be replaced so I'm considering this deal.

What's the catch?

Wouldn't Verizon be pissed that Moto is offering this deal? Or is the catch that this phone isn't really worth it? Just asking before I pull the trigger......email said deadline is Friday.

Oh DH has a razr Maxx that just blows so we're actually considering 2!

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

Verizon doesn't care where or how you get your phone. You will get to keep your unlimited data buying from anywhere but them.

Are you asking about just buying direct from Moto or are you asking about their credit plan?

Either way, you would just be buying a phone outright and keeping your current plan with Verizon. I got my DE Moto X direct from Moto and had zero issues (didn't use their credit plan though).

doogald likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    To add to Clementine_3's response, when you buy a subsidized phone, that means that Verizon is eating a large part of the full cost of the phone with the understanding that you are committing to their service for two years. The monthly contract price includes the amount of money that Verizon "loaned" you to buy the phone from them.

Now that you are off-contract, the monthly contract cost to you does not go down, despite the fact that you have long-since paid Verizon back the subsidy that they ate when you bought the phone.

So, either way, Verizon wins. When you buy a subsidized phone, they ensure that you will be a customer for two more years (or pay an excessive early termination fee if you do try to end the contract early.) When you bring your own device and continue your service month to month, your monthly fee pays more than the cost of providing the service plus recovering the subsidized price - Verizon captures even more profit.

4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

And that's why I love to hate them :p

I'm actually trying AT&T (Go Phone) to see if I can switch to the new cheap rates. I've already dropped a call and the signal is consistently much worse than Verizon's at my house. My cell is my only phone so it has to work. Verizon works. I hate them and their rates but the old adage seems to apply, you get what you pay for.

As far as the X "being worth it", it absolutely is! Amazing phone.

5. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Thank you both - I think I'm buying two this week!

6. ron swanson

ron swanson Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2013
    if you are going to buy your own Moto X, you should consider either Republic Wireless (who has uses Sprint and Verizon wireless network) or one of the MVNOs who have a sharing deal with Verizon. It will depend on how you use your phone. For me, Republic works well but it may not for you (Sprint coverage is OK for phone near my house and work and I am not using 4G data as there just isn't 4g coverage near me but there is 3g) but the price is right
    Just sayin'.