• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Motorola Droid Bionic - All Things Root Guide

Now take your Smartphone and Enable usb Debugging and the make sure that youare connected through WIFI

Open Stock "Files" r "Filemanger App"3rd party apps wont work
Open the "Files" app, and select "Remote storage". Click "Add storage", and fill in fields as follows:

Code:
Host IP address:        [your Linux machine's IP address]
Domain name:            WORKGROUP
Shared folder name:     share
User:                   guest
Password:               [the password you created above]
your phone will be mounted in Linux share to complete process plug in your Phone to Computer Via usb and then type following command

Code:
cd /tmp/share/
sudo ./run.sh

YOU MUST RUN THIS COMMAND VIA sudo. Also your phone will vibrate allot, let it finish vibrating before continuing.

My Bionic isn't connecting to the share, it gives me a "Network Error"
Code:
There is a problem in your network connection with remote host.
Please repair your network connection and try again.
I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 on VMWare player from a windows host, and using bionic 4.1.2 JB. Can anyone help me with this? Or know what my problem could be?? A quick reply would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
My Bionic isn't connecting to the share, it gives me a "Network Error"
Code:
There is a problem in your network connection with remote host.
Please repair your network connection and try again.
I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 on VMWare player from a windows host, and using bionic 4.1.2 JB. Can anyone help me with this? Or know what my problem could be?? A quick reply would be appreciated.

It may be that VMWare is not set to use the same IP address as your Windows host. I know that Parallels on the Mac by default acts like a router, putting the traffic in the VMs in a separate, 10.x.x.x network.

[edit: what you want is bridged networking...]

If the IP address range of the Linux host and your Bionic are not the same, that's likely what is happening. If the Bionic is 192.168.x.y, then the Linux address must be 192.168.x.z in order for the two devices to be able to connect together.

What are the two IP addresses (Linux host and the Bionic)?

[Of course, as I type this, I am about to leave on a trip where I will not be checking in often, but hopefully others will be able to help...]

Upvote 0
I am running The OVM file in VMware workstation, The VM is running and mounts the SD's as far as I can tell from the console messages.

USB debugging enabled
Mass Storage connection is checked.

Not positive is those are correct settings, but the fact that the VM could mount my SD's suggest its correct. but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• log-bionic.jpg
    log-bionic.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
As of 5/7/2013 bionic bootstrap does not work with 98.72.22. It will cause an encryption error and put you in a boot loop. You can use safestrap with 98.72.22 to create your back ups and flash zips.

If you do flash bootstrap and end up in a boot loop you must flash the 98.72.22 fxz and re-root.

What does this mean in plain English?

Does anyone have simple plain English instructions on rooting a Bionic that doesn't require an advanced degree in nuclear physics to understand? :mad:

Upvote 0
The answer to this question ... no ... sorry.

The answer to the question you asked in the main forum was down just a little further in the document you referenced. It points to the link ... Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) ... it is the same link the last two messages pointed at and it tells you step-by-step how to root your Bionic under Jelly Bean.

I suggest you start anew thread in this sub-forum for all the questions you are going to have.

... Thom

Upvote 0
just got this phone on e bay. it already had android ver. 4.1.2 jelly bean
system version 98.72.22 and although not rooted there was a version of superuser installed so maybe it was rooted before. could not uninstall superuser so just disabled it using stock manage app feature and used above mentioned program for rooting jelly bean os for bionic. worked great. it did hang where script said "wait for full reboot and then press any key" ( or something like that) just phone vibrating on and off for around 15 min. when I next looked at screen, script page was blank so I unplugged usb cord and closed virtual box. phone rebooted and afterward I used app called rootchecker and it said not rooted. rebooted phone and superuser then needed permissions and some setting choices and then rootchecker said I was rooted. installed safestrap and did backup,installed titanium pro and did backup and then froze a whole lotta bloatware. Thank you, you supersmart guys for making this possible for us all.
I had previously rooted my casio commando phone and it was really a lot more work and trickier using adb with a bunch (to me ) of terminal input and such. This bionic rooting seemed daunting but in the end carefully reading instructions worked for me the first time. :D

Upvote 0
Just in case anyone else runs into this, I was trying to use Easy Root with my JB-Bionic and having trouble. I posted this in the Easy Root thread over on Droid Forums:

I was careful about the instructions but still had a lot of problems getting the USB to connect. I switched USB ports to make sure I was on a USB2 port. I rebooted my HP laptop. I even downgraded VirtualBox from 4.3.12 to 4.2.12 to match the instructions.

Nothing worked.

Then, digging through the thread, I noticed that someone had said that they had a problem with VirtualBox and Hyper-V. I'm running Win7-Pro and I don't have Hyper-V. However, I did have virtualization turned on in the BIOS to support the Microsoft Win XP Virtual machine that comes with Win7-Pro. I hardly ever use that so I disabled virtualization in the BIOS and then USB connected on the next try. It didn't take long after I plugged in the cable.

I have root. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones