• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Motorola Droid Bionic - All Things Root Guide

So this method will work with 5.5.893? I had read that folks trying top root lately have not been able to do so.

And will it allow me to unroot to accept a one-time update?

I used this a few days ago on my phone. It works.

There isn't really an unroot for this, but OTA RootKeeper might work.

But you can apply OTAs with root, as long as you have foreverrooted.

Reactions: al23
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yup. 5.5.893 Unrooted. Have never tried to root before.

The first thing you have to do is install the Motorola Drivers:

• 32-bit - MD5: 417375F263AE83C973CF8F2F317F88FE or
  • 64-bit - MD5: FACAE88CA21B0C37E99D027F1F63628D

Then enable "USB Debugging" on the Bionic. Then plug it in, and quickly switch to "Charge Only Mode."

Wait for Windows to install all of the drivers, then run the batch file called "R3L3AS3DRoot.bat."

You need option 2.

Upvote 0
The first thing you have to do is install the Motorola Drivers:

• 32-bit - MD5: 417375F263AE83C973CF8F2F317F88FE or
  • 64-bit - MD5: FACAE88CA21B0C37E99D027F1F63628D

Then enable "USB Debugging" on the Bionic. Then plug it in, and quickly switch to "Charge Only Mode."

Wait for Windows to install all of the drivers, then run the batch file called "R3L3AS3DRoot.bat."

You need option 2.

Thanks. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
I was the first time as well. Don't worry. If there's a problem, you can always restore with that same tool and try again.

First effort failed. But after extracting the files (I thought this was already done), it worked. After restarting the phone there was the superuser icon. Now it's a whole new world for me to discover. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Cheesecake is for those of us really brave souls who want to find updates that are being tested before they are released to try to install to our phones. Most times they break something, or else they take us off the upgrade path, so if you're new to all this, I'd highly recommend you stay away from it - let those of us with experience find and test the updates, and when we determine they're viable alternatives, then we'll pass long the word in these and other forums.

Reactions: al23 and tehsusenoh
Upvote 0
Cheesecake is for those of us really brave souls who want to find updates that are being tested before they are released to try to install to our phones. Most times they break something, or else they take us off the upgrade path, so if you're new to all this, I'd highly recommend you stay away from it - let those of us with experience find and test the updates, and when we determine they're viable alternatives, then we'll pass long the word in these and other forums.

Yep. If you really, really, really want to do it...

*Bootloader Unlock Research* Cheesecake Clarification - xda-developers

I'm not even daring enough.

Upvote 0
I had it, but When I got miffed after applying the 5.7.893 leak only to find myself unable to do anything else, I was rather peeved. now, I wait for someone to point me to a leak and then i see what others are saying - then I make sure I can revert, or else make sure I'm willing to stay on a particular update, and then I update.

Upvote 0
I had it, but When I got miffed after applying the 5.7.893 leak only to find myself unable to do anything else, I was rather peeved. now, I wait for someone to point me to a leak and then i see what others are saying - then I make sure I can revert, or else make sure I'm willing to stay on a particular update, and then I update.

Mine's installed, but never opened.

I am still a little scared to go to 901 myself. :p

One day I'll feel lucky and just do it, like I did for 893 and Eclipse. And I have to say, after that update while getting more than a day's battery life...

uuQ4V.gif

Upvote 0
You can just go into the "Manage Applications" menu in settings and remove it. No biggie. It won't do anything unless you open the app and mess with things, no notifications.

Done. And this is maybe the 20th time i am saying this, but THANK YOU!!!!

Phone is rooted. i haven't done anything (custom ROMs yet). Waiting to see a ROM that catches my eye. I have killed a few runnning aps, but not uninstalled any.

I will go slow with this... :)

Upvote 0
Done. And this is maybe the 20th time i am saying this, but THANK YOU!!!!

Phone is rooted. i haven't done anything (custom ROMs yet). Waiting to see a ROM that catches my eye. I have killed a few runnning aps, but not uninstalled any.

I will go slow with this... :)

I'm going to recommend Eclipse 2.0. That's what I've been using. It's the smoothest I've ever seen my phone.

But there are plenty of nice ROMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones