1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Motorola Droid car mount mod

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Norm222, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

Advertisement

2. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

3. jasg

jasg Lurker

The magnet location is 1 inch from the bottom and 1.75 inches from the left edge (when positioned for dock use).

I confirmed this by locating the magnet on a real dock - which seems to have a quarter inch magnet in the upper left corner of the 'tab' in the middle of the dock.

I made a custom dock using these half-inch neodymium magnets (Promag #60001), which are strong enough to work with the Droid snap on gel cover. (The quarter inch Progmag magnets did not seem to be strong enough to use with a case.)

Simply flip the magnet over to switch dock mode.

4. HardCache

HardCache Member

so basically one magnet will do, and changing the polarity will change which application launches.

... BRILLIANT!

5. xavious85

xavious85 Member

Very nice! I'd like to make a hole for the camera on mine as well so I can hook it onto my motorcycle and take some video of riding in the mountains. Care to tell us how you went about doing this?

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Android Enthusiast

The magnets would likely be tripping a Hall Effect Sensor. I wasn't really aware that you could get one to do different things depending on the polarity of the magnet... maybe it's an actual switch in the phone?

7. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

You can access the Power button when the Droid is in the car doc, I do it all the time...no mod required.

8. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Do you have a drill or a dremel tool?

http://imgur.com/bEmKQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ROeeA.jpg

9. jerry62

jerry62 Lurker

Does anyone know if this car mount will still work if your Droid already has a shell on it (as sold for the Droid)? I'm thinking I would have to remove my shell.

Shell/Holster Combo

10. neumannator

neumannator Well-Known Member

nice thread im gonna do it :)

11. Yerfdog

Yerfdog Lurker

I have the same shell/holster combo. I tried the car mount in the VZ store - it fits fine. It will not fit in the multimedia docking station with the shell on, though.

12. kmfdmk

kmfdmk Member

Badass mod. I should have thought of this, and I had already thought of the mod of the hole for the camera just hadn't gotten around to it. Anyone have any in car video to tell us how bad vibration is transmitted from car-> windshield -> mount -> phone? I have a Supra with ridiculously stiff race suspension on it... wondering if the vibrations will ruin the video.

Something else I've noticed is that the phone actually sounds best when the screen is facing you, but there's a baffle/reflector to bounce the sound back @ you that's about 1" or so away from the back of the phone. I listen to podcasts on speakerphone and have tried screen down, screen up and propped up against something (which sounded best).

Think Single Pole Double Throw...(switch) Makes sense.

I had a clear Verizon hard case for my Droid for about a week, that was only till I had a chance to return it seeing as it won't fit in the car nav mount with the protective case on. So that was a no go. I installed a ZAGG Invisible Shield on it... which is doing so so at protecting it.

13. dman2275

dman2275 Newbie

I know this thread is about the car mount but I am curious, how is the Zagg on the phone? Does it really protect the phone? How hard was it to install on the phone?

14. kmfdmk

kmfdmk Member

Yeah it seems to do well. I mean it won't protect ALL of the phone there are portions that it doesn't cover, tips/edges etc. However as far as scratching/scuffs, things like that it's great. Not that much of a hassle to install. Just make sure to get the phone damp from the included sponge (I just wiped my finger on the sponge, then the phone) AND make sure to get the InvisiShield wet prior to application as well, and slide it around to get it into place.

For the first few days the vinyl was REALLY tacky. Just from being fresh vinyl, meaning it would want to grab onto my pocket lining when putting in my coat pocket, it'd attract lint, etc. However that's worn off. BUT you can still place it on a hard surface (like a windshield) and it will stay (well my supra has a really flat/super sloped windshield but you get the idea).

It did make the touchschreen not as smooth as without. I've heard there are other protective covers that will still give you a super slick screen feel.

15. jerry62

jerry62 Lurker

Here's a nice generic kit for $7 and free shipping?
    Except I want a vent holder with a ball for extra adjustments, not just 360 degrees. But this would seem to be a nice generic window mount.

Universal GPS Car Mount Holder

16. veviac

veviac Lurker

@Jerry62,
    No. It doesn't. You can keep the front faceplate but the back cover has to come off

17. Wilda

Wilda Lurker

I'm using my Droid car mount with my old Garmin Nuvi 360 friction mount. Just take both the Garmin and Droid mounts apart at the joint and swap halves. The balls and cups of the joints are the same size. Works perfectly.

18. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Well-Known Member

proclip has one now:
    ProClip Mounting System

19. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Well-Known Member

NO
    Running mine in 18 wheeler, mostly in portrait mode and mainly for the phone. Landscape phone is a joke. They at least need to make the numbers display in LARGE font as you try to dial.

20. neumannator

neumannator Well-Known Member

did it to mine works great

21. Digitalfix

Digitalfix Newbie

I think I might try thee same...but I'll have to test it out on someplace inconspicuous as its a leather dash on a 911.

22. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

I just trimmed that whole corner off to reveal the camera lens and flash too, that corner is totally useless and does absolutely nothing to hold the phone in the mount, and now it's easier to press the power button when needed.
    I'll post a picture when I get home.

23. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

I just trimmed that whole corner off to reveal the camera lens and flash too, that corner is totally useless and does absolutely nothing to hold the phone in the mount, and now it's easier to press the power button when needed.
    I'll post a picture when I get home.

24. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Android Enthusiast

Bought a Dremel.. after some careful measuring, I'm off to trim my mount for this mod. Thanks to the OP and others that added to this thread. :D

25. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

I'm planning to drill out a camera hole as well with my Dremel. Great to see someone take the time and make it look nice, unlike some people. haha

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews