• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid - I had to do a factory reset today...

Aelbric

Lurker
Nov 9, 2009
...and they just gained a customer for life. :D

Google Maps, the killer app for the Droid as far as I am concerned, started crashing this morning. I called into tech support who suggested a wipe. I immediately got steamed. My brand new device had to be set to factory defaults. I imagined having to redo the work in installing apps, contacts, calendars, etc. from over the weekend.

Imagine my surprise when all apps were immediately redownloaded, all google info restored, all data on the SD card still there. All I had to do was move icons to the home screens and reset my IM account info.

I resisted the iPhone to wait for an "open" platform and am completely glad I did. This device is spectacular. I can't wait for more apps to come available.

Just went to Privacy and did factory data reset. On my DROID.

After activation and signing into my google account... it went to the desktop.

All shortcuts are gone but my desktop is the same custom image.

Syncing is still occurring as I can see the icon above. Nothing seems to have synced yet... going to wait till syncing is done. time is 6:24

6:25 Just got a new email message alert for gmail.

6:26 All my applications are restored and in the application list...

signing into facebook and logging in.

Just tested the "DA" issue and it works!!

Other apps need me to redo the settings...

Everything seems much quicker and snappier at the moment. Hopefully this fixed a few things... I just uninstalled all un-used apps too.

Upvote 0
Wish I'd know a factory reset restores apps. I ended up doing a hard reset yesterday, and nothing was restored.

Because Backup my settings was not active under

Settings > Privacy > Settings > Backup my Settings

Mark the box and wait a while...make sure your General Sync settings, and gmail account, are active and run thru a sync cycle. Everything gets backed up to the "Google Cloud" (not sure about contacts...I didn't want them in the cloud and deleted them) including your custom wall paper if you have them. I did a hard reset a few days ago and only had to re-enter my POP3 addresses and passwords, along with my shortcuts, and I was back to 100%. My contacts were imported via the vCard import.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones