• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Dumps Google Maps For Skyhook

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Besides the fact that this press release is dated for April 27th, 2010, we’re appalled by the information that it brings us: Motorola will preload Skyhook’s location services on its Android-based devices in place of Google Maps and Navigation Beta. In an unexpected “it’s not you, it’s me” type of event, Motorola’s vice president of [...]

More...

I'm all for options and choice, but this isn't a great one. Motorola pulled Google Search and went with Yahoo. And now Google Navigation/Map for Skyhook? I'd rather they offer both and allow the end user to try them out and see what they are happy with... and remove the others to free up space! Don't decide for me, let me decide.

Upvote 0
I think they have to put one by default so it's convenient for people who bought the phone new. It's like preinstalling IE on windows machines, I just hope it still allows uinstalling it and reinstalling with Google Maps if one wants. Froyo (2.2) & beyond seem to be disconnecting these Google apps from the core Android OS anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones