1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Motorola releases 4.4 for Verizon Moto X

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Clementine_3, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Absolutely correct.

No I was not suggesting the the OTA do a FDR willy-nilly without warning. I think it should be part of the process and there should be an option to install the OTA that you only have to respond to once. When you are ready to go forward and do the install followed by the FDR you hit the install button.

This would only be there for major release OTAs like JB to KK.

Over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over we see problems reported here that would have never surfaced if the FDR had been done. No one likes doing them (well I guess the masochists do) ... it is part of the Android process.

... Thom

Advertisement

2. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    I think accepting it as "part of the Android process" is a letting Google off the hook.

Frankly, I think "do a factory reset" is a completely inexcusable solution for the vast majority of the population. Delete all of your data, text messages, call logs, settings, etc. so that you can upgrade your phone? Absolutely unacceptable. Maybe necessary, but unacceptable.

There are a lot of things that Google has done right with Android, but it's astonishing that one thing they should be able to do really well - backing up your data on their servers - is this flaky, unreliable part of Android. You don't know which apps store what data, there's no easy way to determine what data is backed up, and core, important items like text messages are not part of the backup.

Until Android has a clean, Google-provided backup solution that will allow you to do an easy backup, wipe, install and restore of your data, people will do anything they can to avoid a data reset - and will suffer the subsequent problems.

JustinHEMI likes this.
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    They do for devices running 4.0 or higher, it's just that not many know about it. It does require using adb though.

[​IMG]

4. binary visions

None

May 14, 2010
    Yeah, except the minute you say you have to use ADB, it's no longer viable. It's again appealing to the enthusiasts - who are less inclined to have this problem anyway since they can seek out apps like SMS Backup and Restore or Helium or whatever.

Google has this golden opportunity to create a real, integrated backup system that doesn't rely on the app developer to turn anything on, and backs up system settings, SMS, call logs, etc. That would suddenly make it really easy and viable to do a FDR during a new OS install, since the restoration is pretty non-intrusive and puts all of your data back the way it was pre-upgrade.

Helium is actually about as good as I've seen in this regard, it's just not robust enough, and doesn't capture enough system settings. But it's a pretty clean UI, and easy enough to use that the average person could deal with it, plus it doesn't require root - it's just a pretty front end for the ADB backup.

5. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana

I agree, though I dont like how Apple forces itunes down your throat, it can be extremely convenient when backing stuff up. I would love to see Google actually make some official desktop software to compete.

Or at least improve on the cloud, though I would still prefer a desktop alternative.

6. binary visions

None

May 14, 2010
    Yeah, as much as I hate iTunes, the backup and restore functionality of it is freakin' awesome. At any time, you can do a full wipe and restore of your device, and it puts everything back perfectly - not one single checkbox needs to be re-checked. Not to mention the recovery mode function: boot your device into bootloader/recovery mode, plug it in, and iTunes says, "hey, I see you've got a device in recovery mode. Would you like to recover it?"

There is a lot of stuff I don't really like about the iWorld, but that particular backup/restore/recovery functionality is something all of the cell phone vendors should be emulating.

7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I admit to not knowing much about it, but I believe Samsung does this with their Kies program. But I agree that Google should make use of the fact that the OS already has the functionality in it, they just need to produce a program that does the adb stuff behind the scenes so that the end user doesn't have to see it. Hiding developer options in 4.2+ was a step back though because the phone would still have to have usb debugging to even utilize it.