• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Motorola Rooter Workin on Epic

chacen.droid

Dec 20, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Hi there guys, my friend has asked for my help in rooting her epic, I have only worked with a my moto Droid and Droid X so the Samsung world is new to me and I have a couple questions.

Her epic is currently completely stock running 2.1

Who are the major players in the Epic ROM game?
Also in moto rooting we have RSD Lite and SBF files to return to stock, I see "Odin" alot is this the equivalent?
If anyone's ever worked with moto devices are there any major differences as to what you can and can't do with root or how ROMs and such work?
Also her phone is having a problem in that it recieves multiple duplicate text messages both in the stock messaging app and in handcent SMS, is this a common problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks so much in advanced for any help, and as I'm sure ill have more questions along the way ill keep them contained in this thread.

CM7 is in Alpha testing (but is rock solid and just missing some functions). Syndicate would be a good place to start and stay "stock" if she likes it.

Odin is the equivalent of SBF. The Epic can be bricked and not fixable through Odin though.

Never rooted a Moto... So I can't comment on the differences. No limitations on the Epic though.

In the stock messaging app hit Menu/Settings and turn off notifications to eliminate the duplicates.

Reactions: chacen.droid
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply, so the epic CAN be fubar'd? That may effect my decision to help lol.

Sorry I should have been more clear as to the messaging problem, notifications are off in the stock app what I'm saying is sometimes she will receive the same message in the same app multiple times sometimes up to 16 of the same message. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones