• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Service Forcing Weather to Update Frequently

lexluthor

Android Expert
May 15, 2010
Ok. I think I might have found another issue with the Droid X.

Been doing a lot of digging around on this one too and I finally figured out what's going on.

On my Droid X, I've found that any weather widget I used (I've tried both fancy widgets and weatherbug) update/refresh much more frequently than the refresh interval set in the program.

After much testing, I've found that the Motorola "Date and Time Update 2.1" service is somehow force updating these widgets.

I've been in communication with both developers and they are looking into it.

Since I have my Droid X rooted, I used Titantium and froze that service. I haven't seen any negative effects of doing so and now the weather widgets now refresh only on schedule.

Can anyone else duplicate this? Just set fancy widgets or weatherbug to update every 2 hours or so and then check their status screens and see if it's refreshing more quickly.

Be curious to see if either developer can figure out why this is happening.

I didn't see much, if any negative effect on my battery, though that's hard to tell. Spare Parts did indicate a decent about of data usage from Fancy Widgets, so I suppose, even if it's a little extra data, that has to have some effect on the battery.

Reactions: kwaping

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones