1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Motorola support says GPS won't work in airplane mode?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dakster, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dakster

dakster Well-Known Member

If the droid only supported AGPS that would be true, but it ALSO supports standard GPS. It's not an either GPS or AGPS, most phones do both.

You can be in the middle of the ocean, with no CDMA signal at all from towers to help get a lock on. It will still work, just take longer to get the position fix, like a traditional GPS unit.

I've used GPS on the droid just fine in places with zero CDMA towers (overseas).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member

I have used my D2G on many flights over the US, to Asia and to Europe to watch or record the tracks with the phone in the airplane mode only without any problems, using both Google Maps and My Tracks. If there is no WiFi or cell tower signal, it will take a minimum of 13.5 min to download the ephemeris data under ideal reception conditions, but it seems that sometimes I had a lock much sooner, perhaps the phone still remembered the airport position. It is important to hold the phone close to the window or on your lap/table--and to have a good visibility of several satellites (I use GPS Status app for that).

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews