1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Motorola's Ability to Refurbish Phones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by awells527, Jul 29, 2011.

1. awells527

awells527 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Support Desk
    NW Indiana
    I decided to process a warranty claim for my DX a few days before the 1-year warranty was up to attempt to resolve my issue with the 3G radio shutting off.

Replacement #1 did not have a working camera. The camera would take solid black pictures like the there was a lens cap on - the app worked fine, didn't lock up, etc.

Replacement #2 seems to have a sticky back button causing apps to randomly close out. I'm pretty sure it's the button because if I run my thumb over the physical keys, the issue will stop until I hit the back button once...then it goes all the way to the home screen.

I'm not sure if I want to go for replacement #3 - getting sort of tired of reloading everything.

Has anybody else gone through VZW's replacement service? How was your experience?

Advertisement

2. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Most electronics manufacturers sub out the refurbishing of their products to the lowest bidder. This mean less quality control and less time inspecting as each refurbishing company competes for the job with the lowest bid-have to cut costs some place. Keep making them give you another phone until it's right or demand another brand/make.

3. thedrizl

thedrizl Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Male
    jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none
    Warrenton, VA
    Only had to replace my DX once with a refurb. Using it right now to post this. Haven't had any issues other than software. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

4. varaonaid

varaonaid Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2009
    VT!

Consider yourself very lucky! I have had really bad luck with refurb replacement phones starting last year with the Droid Incredible. I went through 3 different ones and finally said I had no confidence that the next one would be any better (plus there was a long delay to get them). They eventually switched me for the DX, which worked out great...until they had to replace it.

It took me three or four swaps to get the one I have now which (knock on wood) is fully working. The others all had problems. Two of them had screen issues and one of those also had speaker issues. Sounded like the earpiece had been fried. I kept wondering if I should just live with it but it grated on me that I sent back an otherwise perfect DX that had the original problem only to get partially working replacements. I think it was the fourth that finally was OK.

I mean, in the end, they kept swapping until I got one that was fully functional both times, but it would save a lot of time and effort if they could have done that sooner.

OP, I know it's a total pain to keep reloading your info but don't settle for a partially working phone! Get them to exchange it until you get one that works properly. It's worth it in the end.

5. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    After the 4th phone they usually let you switch to a brand new, different model.

6. awells527

None

Jul 15, 2010
    Support Desk
    NW Indiana
    Next replacement is arriving tomorrow. :)

Ya, the only problem with that is I have the car & media dock. The only model I would be willing to switch to would be the X2, but I'm not sure they would be willing to do that. We shall see how this next one works out.

The last rep I spoke to said that all these "like new" phones are buyer's remorse phones - sent back because the customer decided they didn't want them. I clarified by asking if any of these phones were returned for technical issues, and she said "no". I'm still kinda suspicious based on the frequency of issues.

7. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Kansas City
    I had to get a replacement about a month and a half ago because the bottom 1/8 inch of my screen started to fade out. My X had been so good I was almost willing to live with this so I did not have to get a refeb.

I can't say that my refeb is better, because out side the screen issue after 11 months my original never had issues, but my refeb has been as good as my original. I have it rooted and it do everything my previous one did with no issues at all.

8. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    They will probably let you if you pitch a big enough fit and the cost is the same as what you paid for your contract renewal price.

I went from the Droid 2, to the Samsung Fascinate. After 2 weeks with the Fascinate and realizing how badly Samsung updates it's stuff, I walked into the store and did the exchange for the Droid X. I did have my first X die after 3 months but my second one has been good(so far).

Now, when I did get the brand new Fascinate to get me off of the Droid 2s, it did change my new phone date. It basically reset it 20 months for a new phone but my contract date remains unchanged. Furthermore(and irrelevant) is that it re-aligned my contract and phone renewal dates, so if for some reason Verizon has absolutley 0 phones that interest me, I can switch if necessary.

End blurb.

9. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    I guess I'm lucky. I've had a warranty replacement phone (the headphone jack stopped working) and an insurance replacement (through Assurance) and both phones have looked and worked as good as new.

10. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

Mine has issue 2 in the OP, I just got a replacement that does that now. I wish I had my original phone back with the bright spots back. All these refurbs are messed up.

11. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    It stinks, but keep taking it back. Or send it in, it's easier.

12. awells527

None

Jul 15, 2010
    Support Desk
    NW Indiana
    So far my 4th one is working.

13. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    Male
    Musician songwriter Walmart Associate. Father
    Warner Robins Ga
    What were dealing with are a huge number going back from people freakin out after rooting and or flashing Roms.. many noobs are scared and send them back, flooding the company... they realize this and when they talk to you via phone they generally ask a few questions, then remind you if its sent back broken or damaged on your part then you pay the damages. But they look at them clean them up, and reload the software and on to the next. This is the only way the company can keep up. They wouldve lost a bunch of money otherwise..of course everyone probably knows this. There next move is unlocking the bootloaders, and having us sign a waver if we choose to root, and they will send a zip file or update to your device and then you see how this will save them more money and less returns.. this is going to happen very soon, i expect by the end of the year...it will however instantly void your warranty for any software issues, and not sure but i believe it will void ALL warranties..but that would need further searching. I read this on engadget the other day..makes sense to me...thanks.

14. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    No, a majority of people send them back from bugs in the GB or Froyo OS or from apps messing up. Most people don't root and rom.