1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Mount for file transfer -->> Drive not showing up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Idunno, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Idunno

Idunno Android Enthusiast

Dubya tea eff? I've transferred tons of stuff to and fro the SD, now all of a sudden the drive doesn't even show up when I plug in the USB cable, regardless of mount/unmount.

Even weirder is there aren't any issues in hardware manager... when I plug it in I get the message "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use" and I just want to scream at the screen.

I'm sure I just need to reinstall the drivers but which ones? I have found numerous drivers out there claiming to be what I need but figured I would ask the pros.

Advertisement

2. dots

dots Android Expert

k.c.cole likes this.
  3. Idunno

There is a file in c:/windows/system32 called usbstor.sys, which apparently is crucial to having functional USB devices (including removable storage!)... which was missing. DL'ed and replaced it, now I can use USB for removable storage but the computer still wont recognize the phone... I tried those drivers above, and the ones that came in the froyo_root_tools. Nothin.

Odd how that file was mysteriously gone... I <3 Windows.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, USB storage doesn't work, phone doesn't show up in my computer. I get four "Unknown Device"s in hardware manager.

4. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

Do you have any other USB problems going on with the PC? You might need to reinstall your USB chipset drivers. Or perhaps update them to a newer version. Did you build the PC or is it retail?

5. BReppy

BReppy Lurker

I'm having the same problem; however I use a mac, and it's not an issue with my USB port&#8230;

6. Idunno

Its an HP Probook 4510s... it was having tons of problems along with the USB issues (on XP Pro) so I reform'd to Win7 Enterprise 64bit. Now all my USB functionality is back like cardreader, usb mouse and even motorola phones will mount for file transfer... but not my lowly Ally.

I'm starting to think it's an issue with the phone itself, is there a compatibility issue with LG/Win7?

7. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I don't have any problems connecting to my Win7 x 64 Home Premium PC, so I don't think that is your problem. After you re-did your PC did you remember to reinstall the LG Ally driver on it?

8. Idunno

I used the LG mobile update tool to DL the drivers... should I be using something different?

9. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

When I installed the drivers I did not have the LG Update tool yet. I downloaded the drivers from the LG website with Firefox and installed them manually on the Win7 PC.

10. Idunno

I figered it out, here's the explanation:

LG mobile update will install LG_USB_drivers_blah_blah driver (which is incorrect)

You have to use LGAndroidDriver_blah_blah_blah driver for windows 7.

That is all.

Tags: