• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mount Network Hard Drive as Local Folder in mnt/sdcard

basil5303

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
I am trying to setup a local folder within mnt/sdcard that in actually a network share drive. The reason I am trying to utilize this method to map a network shared drive is so that my local apps can see and save files to this drive/folder.

I do have a rooted device and have installed CIFS manager and was able to mount the drive to the appropriate folder, however when I try to save files to this newly created folder/network drive, it won't let me save them.

I thought this might have been due to the fact that share was not enabled on the hard drive, but it is. Further more, when I utilize a Samba client I am able to save files appropriatly. Seems wierd that I can modify via samba and not through directly through the folder/network drive in the android folder structure.

Appreciate any thoughts on how to get this working. One other point, when I utilize the samba client I do have to enter a username and password. When I use CIFS I also have to enter a user name and password, but am curious if when an application tries to save a file to the folder/drive it is pushing through a different user name and password? In either case, I did enable full access to everyone on the network share.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones