• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mounting SD Card via USB NOW Slow?? (wasn't before)

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

Didn't have a problem with this before on my EVO and can't recall any settings I might have changed to cause this problem but when I choose the "Disk Drive" connection for "Connect to PC" it takes a long while (minute or so) for the drive to mount. I have the default connection to "Charge Only" but when connected to my computer and I choose the "Disk Drive" option the mount is SLOW.

It SEEMS to get a bit quicker if I RE-choose "Charge Only" and then go back to "Disk Drive" to mount the SD card, however, like I said above, it is MUCH SLOWER than before. I used to choose the Disk Drive option and the mount would occur RIGHT AWAY. But not it is slow.

I have installed various apps over the weeks but only recently experienced this slowness. I recall some information about USB debugging conflicting with the SD mount but that option is turned OFF on my phone.

Any thoughts?? Anyone know of any apps that might be known to conflict with the SD mount??

THANK YOU!!

I've noticed mine takes a bit longer to recognize with the more crap I pack on it. How full is your card?

Card is an 8GB and hardly has anything on it (6+ GB free). So not much crap. Well, probably all "crap" but not much MORE since the slowness! ;)

I did recently move some apps to the SD card but was only like 40MB...

Upvote 0
Only suggestion I have is to try another card and see how fast/slow it comes up. Maybe the card is bad, or at least going bad.

Hmmm...sucky but I hear ya.

QUESTION: if I back up my card with a drag and drop of my computer and then install a new card, can I simply drag and drop my stuff BACK to the card and go where I left of??

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issues...it can take up to 2 minutes to mount on any PC (since I moved things over to it.) Even apps that are loaded on it take a long time to show up again after it is remounted by the phone; up to a minute or so. Been having the issue for a few weeks...it was fine before. I am thinking of moving everything off the card (have done that already actually...even the hidden files) and reformatting and then putting everything back; I'm just a little afraid the card won't work at all after that...ha.

I even noticed that if I go into settings/manage applications it takes a good minute now for it to load them all and their icons...sometimes longer.

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issues...it can take up to 2 minutes to mount on any PC (since I moved things over to it.)

I even noticed that if I go into settings/manage applications it takes a good minute now for it to load them all and their icons...sometimes longer.

Hmmm...interesting observation/comment about the slowness "since moving things over to it." I too added apps to my SD card for the first time recently and now I am noticing the slowness. And I also suffer from the slowing of apps to load in Menu...Settings..Manage Applications....however I think it might just be the sheer number of apps I need to load as I believe this operation was slow even BEFORE I moved apps to the SD.

Can anyone confirm that perhaps the mounting slowness is attributable to having moved apps to the SD??

THANKS!!

Upvote 0
Yes! I'd like to know too, since I don't want to reformat if this is normal...ha. I actually posted on here about this a few weeks ago but haven't heard back, so not sure at this point. =)

I'm just happy to see I'm not going crazy (well...crazier) and someone else has noticed this as well...ha!

Upvote 0
...and also I have noticed that while the mounting is slow the apps work perfectly fine once everything is fully loaded after the mount. Accessing them when running them is all normal speed (no slow downs in opening the actual apps, etc.) The only slowness is when AFTER the phone says it is mounting the card (takes a good minute or 2 for all my apps to come back so I can actually click on them) and when mounting it to a PC of course..

...the only other slowness, as I mentioned, is when going into settings/manage applications and waiting for icons to load. That seemed to all be normal speed for me till very recently (even after I moved my original apps over a few weeks ago) - I don't remember settings taking that long to load app icons, etc before but I also did move some more things over in the last few days. That is when I noticed the settings, etc running slowly - as if waiting for the SD card to catch up...

Upvote 0
...and also I have noticed that while the mounting is slow the apps work perfectly fine once everything is fully loaded after the mount.

Just remember that there are apps that, although they are allowed to be moved to the SD card, they do NOT function well on the SD card. One such app is that Google Sky Map thing with the constellations. Often widgets will NOT work well either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones