1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mounting /System

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Shehroz Khan, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Shehroz Khan

Shehroz Khan Newbie

How to mount /system? I've tried an app to mount that doesn't work as intended. Furthermore I've tried some Android Terminal Commands to do that none of them are working.

mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /system

Error Shows;

'/dev/loop1' is read only

Why I can't mount /system directory?

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Is this phone or tablet actually rooted?

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Yep you need root permission first before you can gain access to system which basically means your device needs to be rooted first.

MrJavi likes this.
  4. Shehroz Khan

Shehroz Khan Newbie

Yes, Device is rooted & I am typing these commands as super user (#).

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Perhaps you're missing something else then? I dunno. It's a long time since I rooted anything, and never tried to change things manually in /system

MrJavi, Shehroz Khan and ocnbrze like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

What version of Android are you using?

Shehroz Khan and ocnbrze like this.
  7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

In case it's useful the OP has told us in another thread that (s)he is using an Android x86 build on a PC, but not what Android version it is.

Have you explicitly requested superuser permission for your terminal (e.g. using the "su" command)?
    Have you tried without specifying the filesystem (it should know the default for that partition)?
    And have you tried alternative ways of copying your file to /system, e.g. using adb?

#7 Hadron, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Shehroz Khan and ocnbrze like this.
  8. Shehroz Khan

Shehroz Khan Newbie

Its Android x86 7.1.2 build on PC.

9. Shehroz Khan

Shehroz Khan Newbie

Yes, I have root permission (i.e I typed 'su' to become a Root User).
    I have almost no knowledge of these commands. So, What would be the command without specifying filesystem?
    I have tried using different Root Explorers...

10. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Just leave out the "-t ext4". "mount" is a standard Unix/Linux command, so if your android emulation doesn't include the man files (help files) it's easy to look up the meaning of the parameters of the mount command online.

Have you tried doing it within the Android Debug Bridge environment rather than just the command line?

adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system

where I've left out specifying the filesystem just in case your setup is not using ext4 for /system.
    ("adb shell" means "start a shell within adb". The following commands are then being run in the adb environment. To return to your normal command line when done just type "exit", which will quit the adb shell).