• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mourning the death of Nokia

I would have loved to seen a Nokia Android for sure. I mean, good God a 41 Megapixel camera running on Android. How sweet would that be? Imagine all the cool shots you could get, then apply gritty filter and post to Instagram.

I TOTALLY agree with you man!

I have no idea why Nokia did not do BOTH OS's at the same time???

Anwyway - Nokia chose their graveyard.

I totally agree a 41 mp Camera would be the only device with Android on it and would sell like hot cakes I am guessing?

:)

And it is open source so it will cost them a nice fat zero so they don't have to pay MicroPork for the license to their software.

I will never understand why Nokia did not choose both but hey poo happens! :)

I also hate the apple behaviour from MicroPork with super crazy lock down OS all over the damn place.

That is what I hated and still hate about it.

Ja sure Nokia would have to pay royalty fees to use the Google Play Store but this is a drop in the ocean compared to whole WP 7 license.

But I will never deny the extreme stability and great performance out of low hardware specs.

Impressive all round.

Except for the damn iLock bullshit.

I want FOSS not iLock.

I couldn't handle that.

So voted with my feet.

I also had a huge problem with the lack of NO APPLICATIONS on their store!

ZERO applications pretty much I agree with your friend sflbloodbrother dude!

Totally agree!

Also used to infuriate me!

>:-(

Not even opera mini for gods sakes!

Sheesh!

Upvote 0
Windows Phone has a locked down OS, it looks like a child's plaything, it is not capable of running true Windows apps (think RT), and overall, their app store is about as barren as BlackBerry World. all Nokia can highlight as a 'feature' is a camera. are people buying Lumias looking for a smartphone or a camera? the camera is probably the least used feature on my devices. i mean when Daisy Deer was alive i probably used it occasionally but often i preferred an actual camera for pictures.

If i had to leave Android for a locked down OS, i'd probably use iOS before i'd ever touch WP8 or BlackBerry 10.

Totally agree with you man!

The ******* locked OS apple behaviour crap drove me CrAzY!

aaargh.

It is shame because it is a great piece of software besides the iLock crap.

What a shame.

But I disagree with the camera with you! :D

Good LORD I would LOVE a camera the size of China like that!!!

Oooooooohhhh

@.@

I would love that camera I hear it is awesome! :)

Upvote 0
Nokia did make sturdy phones. That 6085 we have came out when? 2007? It was a refurb when I bought it.
Windows is trying anything to avoid the malware magnet by locking. Remember when Windows installed with everything enabled in IE?

Read a post where new apps enable people to do a lot, but the user who clicks on everything and has problems is the one likely to start a suit.

I always wanted the N900

Upvote 0
I like Android as much as anyone....
I don't however view the smartphone world with rose colored glasses.
The reason everyone has Android is because android made it easy for manufacturers to get. That is the point of open source.
Most people don't care if you can root a phone or not. Most people just want a "cool" phone that works like it is supposed to when they need it to. I have had 3 Android phones and each one has had the habbit of crashing or freezing when I have needed my phone the most. I have played around with a windows phone and a very good friend of mine also owns one. I did find Tue tiles to be strange, but the phone itself was awesome. It ran smooth. His phone NEVER freezes or crashes. Microsoft will grab a bigger share of the market and Apple and Android alike will feel it.
Heck my next phone may be a windows phone.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Nokia would make a killing with Android. but they're too arrogant to realize that.

it's not so much the locked down part that truly hurts, it's the extreme lack of available apps. most that do exist on all platforms have yet to be updated in their WP8 ports. a lot of them are over three updates behind. when i use a smartphone i depend on having a lot of apps. if those apps don't exist i got nothing but a fancy feature phone. that was what lost BlackBerry for me. it had *nothing*. WP8 has much less or about the same. sure, there is Facebook and Netflix, but hardly any games, no Pinball Arcade, no GTA:VC, no themes, and that horrid UI make's Google's updated UI actually look better in comparison

Having a 12-MP camera is worthless if i must sacrifice 90% of the use i get from a phone, which means i need apps as well. it's not a worthy trade-off. if i need a fancy camera, i'd buy a fancy camera. even the highest-quality smartphone cameras take very inferior pictures to a cheap digital camera with half the MPs. the quality is in the lens. you cannot shove tons of MP onto a camera and get decent pictures if you skimp on the rest of the hardware.

The deer in my profile pic was taken with my Kodak Easy Share 4MP camera. i can bet on the GS3 with 8MP taking far inferior shots. heck i get a lot of blurries when i zoom onto a picture or scale it to a 12" monitor if it was taken with the GS3. they scale much better from the Kodak.

Have to disagree with the 'most people don't want to root or hack they just want a phone that works' while that is true as it is in the case of Apple products, they still want apps. if they cannot get the app or game they want, they will just get another device. Apple's iOS and Android both have millions of apps, but BlackBerry 10 and WP do not. any guess as to why both the latter OSs are either dying off or only having 1% of the market? BlackBerry is pretty much dead because they, too, succumbed to the belief that 'no one wants tons of apps, they just want a phone that can email and Facebook'

Upvote 0
I still disagree slightly.
A lot of people want app and there are a lot of people who do not.
I love Android. I love apps, but I love having a OS that always works when I need or want it to.
Android has to many crashes and freezes

sure.. a stable OS is great..
but if Apps are not important and a stable phone is what you want..
then there are plain dumb or feature phones that fit this deal.
way cheaper..for phone and service plan!!!!

NO smartphone/OS is 100% stable!
the more you want it able to do.. the more variables you add.. the more tasks it needs to juggle..
rebooting a phone is a LITTLE painful.. only takes 2 press and 30 secs.
i think it can be tollerated.

not having apps to meet my needs as they come up...
that is more painful!

Upvote 0
That's a good question. Because if you have crashes and freezing, the fault would most likely lie in the hardware.

No.

My momther's brand new LG L9 2 has crashed a few times on me and it is not even 1 month old.

Not hardware.

Sorry.

I have had many many many Android devices crash on me.

Doesn't matter the manufacturer.

WP 7 is damn fracking solid.

Never crashed or froze on me - not once.

And I am an evil bastard when it comes to my devices - I am ruthless and show no mercy! :D

cyborg-pirate-ninja-jesus-no-mercy.jpg

It is not the hardware.

The OS does have some minor problems but I am 500% aware nothing is perfect but WP 7 is very very stable.

I am not the only one that thinks this way.

I saw many people do reviews across the evil interwebings and many said it is extremely stable.

Fast.

Android is fast I guess as well (depends on the hardware) but with WP 7 I had it did not have extremely good hardware to begin with - compared to many android phones with better hardware it ran waaaay better then they ever did.

Maybe this is just me.

I know I hate MicroPork but I will congratulate them when I see a brilliant marvel of software engineering and time put into it.

I just hate the iLock crap.

It is worse than apple actually in that regard but such a shame such great potential was wasted with iLock crap.

What. A. Shame.

Sad...

Upvote 0
Nokia was struggling and Microsoft backed up a big truck full of money to make them exclusive to WP. It was a mistake, but that's why they did it. As far as apps go, I don't really use many. I have a feeling I could find something comparable for the ones I do use. Games, I have about 20 games that sit on my phone and never get played. Touch screen is just not a good control interface imo. Hacking phones was fun when I needed to do it to make my phone work properly. Now that phones work right out of the box, I don't bother with the tinkering anymore. Personally I would rather use WP than iPhone but Android is plenty stable on my GS3.

Upvote 0
I have had 3 Android phones and they all have been mid range phones......

I have to ask, what phones were they and what are you using now? Because in my experience "many crashes and freezes" is abnormal behaviour for a decent Android device these days. And is much more typical of the off-brand cheapos I see so often, which can often exhibit instability due to quality issues. Some of them can self destruct just by looking at them, they're so poorly made.

The first Samsung I had, which was a Galaxy S that came with Eclair 2.1, that was a bit unstable and prone to freezing occasionally. Although it had no problems once I upgraded it to Gingerbread 2.3.

Some people need to quit drinking the Android Koolaid for a minute....lol

Not me...LOL I'd probably use an iPhone if they weren't so damn expensive. However I would never have a Windows Phone, because I've come to really despise Microsoft these days. And Blackberry is not available.

Upvote 0
i stopped having stability issues with Android when i got higher end hardware. you either get cheap or you get stable. there is no both. that is why iPhone costs a ton. you get stability (although many would argue that iOS isn't *doing* anything) at a higher price. Android has the benefit of being on very cheap hardware but the key word is 'cheap'. you get what you pay for. Android has this horrid reputation by iOS and BlackBerry users of being crash-prone and laggy. i once believed that myself coming from iOS, but when i got higher end hardware (which is at least $100 more than the cost of an iPhone unsubsidized) i stopped having problems. my GS3 is as reliable if not more so than an iPhone, has a better PPI, battery life is about on par, and i get better game graphics performance (tested my iPhone 4 to my GS3 with Infinite Flight and the iPhone had tons of rendering bugs while the GS3 was pretty decent--FPS remained the same on both products)

In fact, a lot of apps that exist on both platforms perform a bit better in Android (version 4.2.2) but to some iOS converts might come off as less-polished in comparison (Facebook for example). i have my phone rooted and have tons of customizations so i am quite impressed myself with how stable it is given how much more it is doing compared with my old iPhone.

As for why Nokia chose Microshaft, i do not believe they are locked into WP8 at all, i think they made the decision on their own based on some asinine assumption that Android is on 'so many devices that we think the market is already saturated' or something.

"Our final assessment was that we had a big concern that we would not be able to differentiate on the Android platform,"

http://mobilemarketingmagazine.com/content/elop-nokia-didnt-want-give-android

All i see is history repeating itself and Nokia ending up going the way of Research In Peace--erm, Research In Motion.

http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/nokia-at-risk-of-joining-rim-and-palm/240002037

Upvote 0
Hehehehee! :D

No dudes - I love FOSS - free and open source software! :)

It is the way to go! ;)

I have seen how great Windows Phone 7 is - in stability and performance - but that is it.

Android wins to me everywhere else! ;)

But I am really sad to see such a (once upon a time) great company go down and lose it's hand set division like this.

From the guys that gave us one of the most hackable and free and open devices - the Nokia N900 went from that free open thinking to closed crap.

That was a great phone.

I believe a lot of programmers and enthusiasts really wanted one of those - like I did and still do but I would prefer to get the N9 or really freaking upgraded version of the N900.

I would get the N9 instead.

Very cheap 2nd hand I would guess.

It is sad to see them fall like this.

Rest In Peace Nokia! :D

So long and thanks for all the fish! ;)

Upvote 0
Nokia and Microsoft is too late, too much, and too yesterday | TG Daily

Nokia had a very large following in India and other places as phones were reliable. (I read a lot of the fora that were in English-the Indian forum was quite entertaining and you could find an answer there that the US forum wouldn't give you.)

This change won't help. A lot of these people need reliable phones rather than office apps, etc. If Android and Apple can fill this niche, it will be bye-bye MS.

Upvote 0
Nokia and Microsoft is too late, too much, and too yesterday | TG Daily

Nokia had a very large following in India and other places as phones were reliable. (I read a lot of the fora that were in English-the Indian forum was quite entertaining and you could find an answer there that the US forum wouldn't give you.)

Nokia didn't really catch on with the US carriers, and so they were never really very popular in the States.

This change won't help. A lot of these people need reliable phones rather than office apps, etc. If Android and Apple can fill this niche, it will be bye-bye MS.

I've got the idea it is very much bye-bye MS in India and most other emerging markets. Windows Phone handsets are quite expensive, in the hundreds of dollars range, and most people are comparatively poor and can't easily afford them. Phone prices are not subsidised by the carriers, you have to pay the full retail price for them.

It's now the low-cost Chinese Android that reigns supreme, that's what's happened. Apple has always done well, but mainly with the monied and more affluent middle classes. But Samsung has been doing very well here as well.

Think the problem with the Nokia brand is that it's generally been associated with low-priced feature-phones and dumb-phones for a very long time. And so now the idea of paying equivalent of $400-$500 for a Nokia just isn't appealing.

Upvote 0
Nokia used to be huge in USA.. back in the 90s.
but lost their touch with users.. and fell off the map.

tried to come back with Windows. but that was a hail-mary.

Andorid OS is free!!!!
if you want cheap.. just make a low-end hardware phone..and lock it down completely.. NO market .. just the basic needs (apps).
this would be a very cheap and reliable feature phone

Upvote 0
my one and only phones from Nokia were lightyears before smartphones came out. my most reliable was the 5185i i used until late 2007, often drifting back and forth between any model i'd like to try out but coming back when i was not satisfied. the only other one i really liked was the 6800 variant that was ahead of its time (had email inbox, flip out keypad, some limited app capability and a color screen) but fell victim to being nibbled on by a deer and started doing all sorts of weird stuff.

i don't see myself having a Nokia phone these days until they ditch Microshaft and have an Android variant. not sure why they cannot just do both like HTC has done?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones