1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Move a file out of "Miscellaneous Files"?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Bloodwolv, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Bloodwolv

Bloodwolv Lurker

First time here, so sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place.

A friend was playing around with some files on their Samsung tab3 and changed the name of their "Pictures" folder to ".Pictures.". Now the file has been relocated into the "Miscellaneous Files". Is there any way i can locate this file, rename it and move it back where it belongs?

I have tried searching for the file both from the device and from the computer via USB. Even with "View hidden folders" enabled on the computer, still nothing shows. Google hasn't been to helpful as every link that contains the word "Miscellaneous" is about deleting misc files. I have also attempted to manually browse the tablets file structures from the computer, opening every folder... there are a lot of folders...

TL;DR: Does anyone know the exact file path for "Miscellaneous Files? Is there a way i can move a file out of "Miscellaneous Files"?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

put a filemanager on your phone I recommend X-plorer

Hadron likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

"Miscellaneous files" isn't a location - it just means "anything that isn't recognised as an app, photo, video or music, no matter what or where it is".

Adding a "." to the start of the name makes that a hidden folder, and I guess has confused your storage tool. A good file explorer set to show hidden files and folders should find it, and then just remove the "." from the name. Viewing over an MTP link from a PC may not be really letting you see hidden folders (test: how many others starting with "." do you see? There are some, so if you don't see any it's not really showing hidden files).

#3 Hadron, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    argedion and Mikestony like this.