1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Move apps tp SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gregtrips, Aug 10, 2011.

1. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest
    None
    Should I move any apps that allow me to move them to my SD card? I ask this because my phone started becoming really slow, it jumps instead of showing any transitons.

Advertisement

2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Are you rooted? If not really the only thing you shouldn't put on the sd card is widget apps. They will just not work right.
    If your rooted, Then you have to be careful what you but on your sd card. Put one app at a time and see how it functions. If it behaves badly,move it back to the phone.
    Apps stored on the system you must put in Quarantine(App Quarantine),or freeze them(Titanium Backup),Before attempting do anything with them. If it doesn't affect your system,delete,and download app from the market. Then see how it behaves on the sd card.

When I rooted the first "V"(now a paperweight),I went merrily deleting everything I thought was not necessary. OOOps. It had an adverse affect on the performance of my phone. I also didn't install a custom recovery and make a backup of my system to fall back on in case I messed something up.

Your poor phone performance might be caused by something else.

I have a tendency to make a lot of mistakes,but,I do learn from them.

I hope this has been of some help in answering your Question.

3. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest
    None
    I'm not sure what being "rooted" means. I believe my phone isn't. It's not like I have many apps. I moved some apps to my SD card, only the ones that allowed me to do so. The good thing about this, is that if it becomes really slow. I can easily reset the phone and start fresh.

4. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    If you don't know what being rooted means and it's a new phone,then your not.
    How many apps do you have installed on you phone,and how many on sd card. Also get a good cache cleaner from the market and clean the cache's once a day. There's a good app called Android Assistant that will do that and quite a bit more.
    Sometimes sluggish behavior is from to many apps running in the back ground or to big an app cache,or both. Get watchdog lite and it will monitor the apps and call to your attention those that are hogging the battery. You can also go to menu/settings/about phone/battery: it will tell you whats using your battery power.
    Also turn off every thing when not in use except the phone. This will help as well(you can find widget apps that have toggles for everything). Make sure that you only turn sync on for 3min when you want updates of email, apps and mms. Make sure you don't have an app that has auto. update checked. Go to the market and check in the my apps section look at all you apps.
    Also when you turn on your phone,toggle Airplane mode on for 30sec. then turn it off. This will help if you have the TWS bug that is common to the "V"
    If you ever do decide to root your phone then never use factory reset will rooted.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything, but this should improve the performance and battery life

5. jsthrower

jsthrower Newbie
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    North Puget Sound
    Yeah, What Andy Said. I also turn off 3G unless I want to use it. The cache cleaner does make a big difference.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Just to clarify what Andy said; Watchdog will alert you when an app is eating too much of your phones CPU. It then gives you the option to force close the problem app. If that same app keeps popping up in Watchdog, then it's time to uninstall the problem app and notify the apps author about the high amount of CPU usage.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  7. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Not sure I buy that...I'm not rooted and have moved every app I can to my SD card without a single problem.

8. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest
    None
    Thanks? It's all too much to take in. But, I'll eventually get there. Thanks.

9. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    That's what were all here for.We get freely,we give freely
    It's always better to have to much of the right info,than not enough.

10. Mistiq

Mistiq Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2010
    Kansas City
  11. Mistiq

Mistiq Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2010
    Kansas City
    Since you're new, I won't recommend rooting and Link2SD, (even though you really should) once you get comfortable with your phone, and start running up against the limits of Stock Optimus, that's when you'll be ready for that next step.

As of now, to help alleviate some of your concerns, Use Apps2Sd it takes the guesswork out of moving apps to SD. It will let you see all the apps you have on your phone, show you the ones that can be moved to SD, the ones already on SD and the ones that can't be moved to SD (at least not without rooting) and it also cleans the cache for you, (also alerts you when the cache reaches a certain size so that you can clear it.)

I strongly suggest you try it, as it kept me pretty happy for the 1st month or so with my own Optimus.

Just don't move any widgets (including apps with Widgets that you want to use, like Facebook, Shazam, and etc...) any apps that you want to autostart when the phone is rebooted

12. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest
    None
    I'm ignorant. Ok, will some one please explain to me what root/rooted phone means? A link will suffice. Thanks again for every one's suggestion. Greatly appreciated by me.

13. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    Short version: rooting your phone gives you superuser permissions-- like admin permissions on your computer.

You can't get it accidentally, you have to do it on purpose.

It allows you to use apps that you cannot ordinarily use, but it also gives you permission to turn your phone into a $150 paperweight ;).

14. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    This is why it is very important to install a custom recovery right after rooting your device so that you can backup your system, so if you have an oops you just restore and your good as new.
    The info. you requested is here What is root? -- definition by The Linux Information Project (LINFO) and here
    Root by definition | Android Forums Also if you consider rooting then you will have to know about Permissions. What they are,how to change them,and who they affect. This is a very informative site http://linuxcommand.org/Its0070.php Hope this is just what you were looking for.

15. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest
    None
    Sucks for your $150 paperweight. I know many out there have rooted their safely. Though, I'm not willing to take the risk. But, what so useful about using apps that you couldn't and have admin permissions? Besides the obvious.

Rooting is to Android as Jailbreaking is to iPhone. Correct?

Have an iPod Touch, which I Jailbroke. But, free apps and downloading straight to phone didn't give me the impression of it being the ultimate, superior, perfect device.

16. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    With the IPhone You can't install a costom ROM like the one I'm running. It has more customization tweeks the you could figure out in a month. You can do anything you want to a rooted phone,and we do.

There will always be people in these forum's that like to play with there phones and improve upon them, and give freely of them self's and there knowledge to help others to enjoy there phones. That is why we give freely,because someone freely gave to us first. Plus thanks to all the developers working on these phones right now, we can continue to have some pretty awesome ROM's for this phone in the future.

The only thing I can say is ,you will just have to see what all the hoopla is all about. You might even be supprised at what these "V" can be made to do.

17. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    It isn't exactly like jailbreaking--as I understand it, jailbreaking just gives you the ability to side-load apps. You can do that on an unrooted Android by checking "Unknown Sources" in Application Settings.

Rooting gives you full permission to change your phone any way you please, including wiping everything and starting fresh will a whole other ROM that has none of the bloat that comes withit when you buy it.

The main reason I rooted was to be able to use the Link2sd app, which allows you to create links for apps that run from the sd card rather than the phone. I mean really--why have a 16g or so sd card when you can't fill it up with apps? ;p.

18. gregtrips

gregtrips Guest
    None
    It's really about customization, which is what most people want. With time, I'll eventually root my phone. For now, thanks to you all. Learning all this was fun, thanks.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
Tags: