1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Move entire contents of an APP to SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JaSauders, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Last night I was trying to figure out why my phone, which is packing a mediocre 150mb of onboard memory, was barking at me that it was low on space when I had all of my applications except 2 of them on my SD card, using an SDMove app from the market.

Further discussion in the Android IRC chat, thanks to a helpful user in there, revealed that an entire app doesn't reside on the SD card when you move it. Only part of it. As a result, that night I went crazy on the market and clicked install on nearly everything that looked moderately interesting is what did me in, because those apps were still taking up bits of internal memory and thereby giving me the low on space error.

So I uninstalled the majority of those apps I knew I'd never use. And bingo. I found myself back up to 60mb of usable space.

That got me wondering today... how exactly does this work? How exactly does the space allocate itself in between two locations? I thought for sure by moving the application the entire contents would reside on the SD card, and some sort of system link would just re-divert it from /android/localmemory/apps (or whatever it is) to /android/mnt/sdcard/apps instead.

It was interesting to see how certain apps were in terms of size and what could get moved between phone memory and sd memory. For example, I was comparing all of the browsers last night, namely Dolphin HD + Mini, Opera Mobile + Mini, Skyfire, Xscope, etc... Opera Mobile came packing with a 20mb size. However, once I moved it to the SD card, it downsized to 9.5mb. Likewise to the others, they had a lesser footprint but didn't move quite as much. For example, Xscope also surprised me (for a minimal browser) packing a footprint of nearly 9mb in size. Once moved, it barely took anything away from its size.

Anyway, that being said, you guys have an idea of what I'm looking at. I guess I just thought that I could slap in a massive SD card and install all apps in the market, but I guess if the apps still take some sort of internal memory that I still have my phone acting as the bottleneck. That said, is there ANY way to move the entire contents of apps to the SD card? While I have condensed my app usage down and trimmed the fat of all of the useless apps I had installed and still feel as though I have a ton more I can remove, I'd like to know for my own sake if such a thing is possible.

Advertisement

2. JaSauders

None

Aug 2, 2011
  3. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    You can do that as long as you root, and use apps2sd or Titanium back up. I am not rooted and just install apps that can be moved and are relatively small to start with. I have 86 apps and still have 40mb free (and there isn't too much to start with on an Optimus). tcat007's Apps on the VM670 - Page 1
    Make sure you clear your cache at least daily.

4. JaSauders

None

Aug 2, 2011
    I am rooted, and I have Apps2SD installed. What should I do now to move the ENTIRE contents over?

Keep in mind, if I have 50mb free and I install an app to my SD card, I'll still use some space out of that 50mb of internal memory. Like I said, 100% of the app doesn't get moved when you move it to an SD card. That's what I'm curious about... if it's somehow possible.

Are there a list of apps somewhere that are able to be moved to SD card? Some of these, such as AIM, I'd like to get rid of in favor of Meebo or Trillian, but only if they support residing on the SD card.

The onboard memory on the Optimus is far from great, however, it's far from the worst. It seems like a LOT of Android phones that first came out only came with 100mb of space. At least my Optimus is packing 200mb.

I currently have 61mb free after trimming the fat of all of the useless apps I installed on impulse and knew I'd never use. So I have plenty of space left over, but nonetheless, I'd rather have as much as possible on the SD card from the get-go. Also, I'm not too sure about clearing the cache. After all, it would just re-build itself anyway. I did that with the dalvik-cache and got all excited when I saw I had 90mb free. Yep. Just give it a few minutes. Once it built up I was at 22mb free. But this was also when I had a ton of bloatware apps still installed.

Quick side question - Does Apps2SD require you to be root to install it? I had SDMove installed before that worked fine without root. Plus 2.2 seems to support moving to SD without root as it is. Does Apps2SD for some reason require root?

Any further advice?

5. rchusid

rchusid Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    There are different situations for moving apps to the SD card which I have encountered.

First there is the apps2sd method which started in Froyo. This only moves certain apps, and often leaves a significant amount of the program in main memory.

I recently rooted the my phone and first got extra room by using Titanium Backup to replace old versions of systems apps with newer, downloaded versions. (This isn't using SD, but gained some space). When I installed a custom ROM, I found that it allowed some things which didn't move to SD under Froyo to be moved.

The third way is by setting up an extended partition on the SD card. (I used ROM Manager for this, and then link2sd to configure the partition and actually move the programs). This allows anything other than a system app to be moved. There are also differences between this and apps moved to SD under Froyo. Widgets will still work, and the apps are available if the phone is connected for file transfer under USB.

6. JaSauders

None

Aug 2, 2011
    I wonder how well this works?

xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV][DATA2SD] More space (and more I/O) for your Desire (Updated/EXT4/Flashable ZIP)

It says this method = apps install to SD card by default.

Then again, so does this:

HTC Desire - Answer To: How to Install Apps to the SD Card by Default on Android 2.2 Froyo

I wonder which one is safer?

EDIT: Reading here suggests the 2nd link isn't a true "install apps to sd card". It sounds like it just TRIES the sd card first and if it's an app that doesn't support it, it fails.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/339621-change-default-app-install-location-to-sd/

So I guess the first option is what's best? After all, the first option uses EXT3, a journaling FS (fat32 is not) so it would make sense the first option = more logical.