• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Move Maps 3.4 from rooted Eris to DX

It's probably in /data/app and it'll be called something like com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk or a similar name (that's what the newest update is called on my phone). Just use a browser like root explorer and copy/paste it to your SD card, then you can move it onto the DX.

If it's not in /data/app, it might be a system app on the Eris, which means it'll be in /system/app.

Frankly, the new Maps update is awesome IMO because everything has moved to vector-based drawing rather than downloading entire map tiles, so I recommend you give it a try before writing it off. But if you try it and don't like it, you can move the file over that way.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the speedy reply. My primary complaint is that tasks that once took two taps now take four or five and the info screen that comes up when selecting a balloon or starred item is a disorganized mess to my eyes.

I agree that the performance of version 5 is impressive, but the user interface is intolerable.

I'll try what you suggested, though at the risk of sounding rude, I was hoping for an answer intended for a less advanced user.

Thank you again!

Matt

Upvote 0
Ahh... Sorry, here:

On the Eris:

Download Root Explorer or a similar manager. I have Root Explorer so I'll write the steps for that, but you could try a free one like this. Root explorer is nice, though.

Open Root Explorer and grant it Superuser permissions.

Navigate to the Data folder, then to App.

Scroll through the list and look for the file com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk or a similar name.

Long press on the file and hit "Copy"

Navigate to the top level by pressing the ".." folder at the top of the folder list until you can't go any further.

Open the sdcard folder

Press the Paste button at the bottom.

Now your SD card has the Maps application on it, you can move it to your computer, and then onto the SD card of your Droid X. Once you have put it on the SD card of the Droid X:

On the Droid X:

Uninstall the Maps application

Open your Files application (this came with your phone)

Select Phone Files

Press once on the Maps application. Then select Install.

Reactions: Greavous
Upvote 0
Yep, got it. I got the Super Manager app, found Maps in /system/app, emailed it to myself, then installed it with the Gmail app.

Wonderful. Thank you. Looks like you didn't over estimate me after all.

Oh, you replied again. Great stuff. When I opened the email in the Gmail app, Install was an option. It just automatically replaced version 5.

Thank you!

Matt

Upvote 0
I forgot to uncheck the auto update feature and v5 slithered its way back in. When I reinstalled 3.4 from the Download directory, my stars failed to display and the program wouldn't sync with my Google account. I went back to 5, did a battery pull, and installed 3.4 again. Back to normal.

I hope that helps anyone with this or a similar problem.

Matt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones