• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Move to SD...or is it?

Puddy Tat

Jan 31, 2013
Cold Michigan
On my rooted Huawei Y300, I have Link2SD installed for moving apps to the SD card. The program shows the apps, allows you to move them, states the app you picked to move was moved, but, any file manager does not show the app on the SD card. I also do not see any space open on the phone where the moved app was stored. So what is wrong?

Assuming for the moment that it's actually working, are you using it to move apps to a partition on the card, or force move them the Froyo/Gingerbread way? In the first case then of course they'll be on the partition. In the second they'll be in .android_secure on the sd card, which is a secure area your file manager almost certainly can't look inside (will just appear empty).

As for space on the phone, do you mean you can't see where it was moved from or you don't see the phone space usage going down? How many and what size apps have you moved? It cannot move the whole app, but if you move a few you should see it start to go down.

I have to admit that while it worked fine when I played with it, it was more tempermental than an apps2sd init.d script, and it took me 2 attempts to get it working (and as far as I could see I had done nothing wrong the first time).

Upvote 0
You selected "create link" not "move to SD", correct?
A file manager won't show the moved app unless it is capable of seeing the second partition you created for Link2SD.
I selected move to SD.

Assuming for the moment that it's actually working, are you using it to move apps to a partition on the card, or force move them the Froyo/Gingerbread way? In the first case then of course they'll be on the partition. In the second they'll be in .android_secure on the sd card, which is a secure area your file manager almost certainly can't look inside (will just appear empty).

As for space on the phone, do you mean you can't see where it was moved from or you don't see the phone space usage going down? How many and what size apps have you moved? It cannot move the whole app, but if you move a few you should see it start to go down.

I have to admit that while it worked fine when I played with it, it was more tempermental than an apps2sd init.d script, and it took me 2 attempts to get it working (and as far as I could see I had done nothing wrong the first time).
I tried to move them to a partition on the card.
I don't see a reduction in used space on the phone after several are moved.
Reason for the move is to get Titanium backup to have enough space to finish a backup.
What file managers can "see" the second or both partitions on the SD card?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones